Last Saturday I went with Victoria for the parent-teacher meeting to discuss the progress of her work in school. It's a bi-annual thing, just before the kindy closes for the semester break.
I was really excited as this was a great opportunity to share our thoughts in a formal two way session. Of course, I meet the teachers daily and exchange short chats, and they'd tell me about Vic in class that day. A couple of weeks back, Vic and I bought this mother-and-daughter sesame street blouse, which we wore together during this PTM. : )
As I talked to the principal, Teacher Yoke Fong, Vic played with her other teacher outside the room. We both noted that Vic has settled very well in school, unlike last year where she'd still feel emotional, and would not participate in class. This year, she has somehow blossomed, if I may put it that way. She's her cheeky self with her friends, runs with them, pokes them for fun, helps her teachers, and participates in the games and classroom activities. There are days when she just doesn't want to go home when I pick her up, because she wants to play with her friends.
I'm happy she's developing well in class, but we need to brush her up still on her reading skills. This girl has her moods. We always have our bedtime stories, and I'd point the words out to her as I read them, whilst she sit beside me. I think she sees the words, but does not really register them in her brains, or she's more interested in the pictures and memorizes the stories and words. She loves simple arithmetics and I would like to develop her further on that.
The teachers tell me they enjoy teaching her, and I was really encouraged when the teachers tell me that Vic is very special and steady in class, because she has her mummy to guide her at home. There is this emotional bank, which she knows will be filled when she goes home. It is because of encouragements like these, and knowing that I make a difference in her life, that I forego yet another lifetime opportunity to take up a project with my ex client from a listed FMCG (with a heavy heart, though).
We enrolled Vic for JMC class with Yamaha Music School. Their HQ is just near our house, so it's very convenient too. I hope this class will allow to develop her love for music in a matured way, and provide her the opportunity to express herself through music.
Now... do we get her a 2nd hand original piano, or a brand new piano, or a digital piano, or simply a keyboard???
Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (糖醋鱼)
1 week ago
3 comments:
Thanks for the updates. The kids are really growing up so fast that when we see them again we will forget that they are mentally and emotionally different. It will be an effort to adjust the way we communicate with them. We're happy that Vic has stabilised in school as well as becoming more sociable. I guess the worse has passed. As for the piano, perhaps a good 2nd hand is a good idea. You never know if she will end up a pro or just take music as a hobby.
Oh.. now i know what is JMC classes...that u were mentioning. Yeah, it is a good exposure for Victoria... since u said she doesn;t really like music and dancing.
No need to get a new piano la.. very mahal and there are alot of good 2nd hand ones available nowadays.
Mummy must be very proud of Victoria in school ... well done!
Victoria is really lucky that she has her mummy at home with her.
Post a Comment