JellyPages.com

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A cowboy toothbrush


Still in the hype of all the Toy Story stuff, I remembered a toothbrush bought sometime ago, still unopened, that had the picture of Sheriff Woody on it. Just the perfect gift for William, and hopefully a good motivation for this boy to brush his teeth, because honestly I have some trouble in this department (deja vu, sigh).

I tell ya, this is purely coincidence that we bought and kept this toothbrush so long ago. Unfortunately there is only one. And when I saw it with the stack of other new toothbrushes (mainly Vic's), I quickly booked it for the brother as Vic had many other choices and girly ones. Naturally, the boy loved it!

But my plan backfired initially as he just enjoyed holding the "cowboy brush teeth" instead of actually using it to brush his teeth! He even asked to bring it out! Aiseh man!

So one morning after coaxing, encouraging and bribing, which all didn't work, I ended up threatening him to throw cowboy toothbrush away if he didn't allow me to brush his teeth. What's the point, I say. Afterall, a toothbrush is supposed to serve it's purpose and if it doesn't, it's a waste, it'll just go to the dustbin... and to rub in my point, I pointed to the "clean" dustbin in our room.

Stil... no result. William ran from one corner to another, and I followed suit. We even hid behind curtains and Fat Hailey tried to help too. All failed.

So, no choice. I put his toothbrush in the bin. It took him 5 seconds before the hard truth sunk in, and then tears fell, the boy cried. OK, good. Just the result that I wanted. For the first 5 seconds, I even thought he'd be so heartless and rather NOT brush his teeth.

Taking advantage of the moment, I quickly got him to agree to have his teeth cleaned, then I washed his toothbrush, dab on some paste and then brush his teeth - finally he open his mouth for me volunteerily. Doing the "aaahh" is not so difficult, but the "eeee" part takes a heck lot of cooperation from him. He is more stubborn in this sense than his sister at his age.

Until today, he still remembers the incident, sometimes I remind him again when he doesn't want to cooperate. Other times, I let him be.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Funny eh, bring his toothbrush out!

coffeesncookies said...

i think he's not comfy with his mouth being invaded. I used colorful and fruity toothpaste to coax and told the big fat lie.. that if she doesn't brush her teeth, it'll stink and lizards will come smelling it at night.. It works !!!
Now, she can only use Colgate - great regular flavour as all other toothpaste dries up her lips. This was diagnosed by Dr Wong too. All the fruity toothpaste gotta go.

Unknown said...

@Elaine, I use the fruity sweet toothpaste for him too, he swallows it and prefers eating it, haiya! Oh, and all the scary stories doesn't work for William.. He's not scared lar or maybe too smart to believe me.. haha

As for the dried lips, Dr Wong diagnose Vic the samething... allergy to mint. so now we use Chicco's strawberry toothpaste for Vic, no mint.

Adrine said...

Hmm....Elyssa was much easier to "con".
Now she comes and tells me : "Mummy come and brush my teeth. My teeth so yellow"

I was going to suggest fruity toothpaste but saw your tried that already. Mebbe you can try letting him brush his teeth himself?

Ann said...

LOL....sounds familiar indeed.

There are times when Christopher will indeed rather not do the activity required of him(brush teeth/eat rice/bathe, you name it) and NOT get the reward. Which kind of makes the whole plan backfire.

Kids these days are so smart....we need to be smarter.

mNhL said...

ohh.....by throwing his fav. toothbrush away works! haha.... it is just a phase. As he grows, I believe he will brush his teeth willingly.

Anonymous said...

Aunty.... go peek into my fb (video) and see my 'daughter' brush her teeth..... it is great motivation for kids....

Unknown said...

@Anonymous, aiseh darling, you were in such a rush you 'forgot' to put your webpage or real name in...