A brief history on her brush with music starting off with Yamaha's children group Junior Music Course (JMC) in April 2009 when she just turned 4. She completed her two years in this course, then moved on to the advanced JMC for the next 1.5 years without completion because I felt the progress was slow and focus was not there. So we found teacher Joanna who taught her privately in her home under the ABRSM syllabus. She used modern pieces from current books with jazzy and contemporary songs, coupled with theory and ear training for an hour each a week with Victoria.
Vic has learnt Italian terms and learnt a handful of minor keys as well as melody writing and the works of Grade 1 and 2.
But alas, her interest didn't bloom and she found practicing her piano a chore. We once had such a bad session at home because she would rebel against everything I said, even to the way she clapped her hands to the rhythm. It's so bad for our relationship, and such a pain in the behind just to remind her to practice and do her theory.
So at that time, she decided that she will learn piano but not sit for exams. Her idea of playing the piano is for fun without practicing nor hardwork. Sometimes I felt like she was practicing only during class time, which really frustrates her teacher too! After many advices and talks and before some people start shooting at me for being too harsh on her, I have given her the due encouragement and reasonings. I guess she's just not into stuff that require hardwork with no short term result.
I guess piano is not for her at this time and maybe, just maybe she will pick it up again at a later stage. Or maybe another instrument. So far there's no indication of interest for music.
So finally in April 2015, after exactly 6 years
Flashback... this was Vic enjoying a lesson in September 2009
3 comments:
Kinda like me last time. I went for piano classes when I was a kid and I HATED it. Hated the weekly Weds lesson. Hated the daily "must practise 30 minutes" sessions. Only managed to convince my parents to stop when I was in Grade 3 or 4 (can't remember now) cos I flunked the exam. ;-)
I guess music is not for everyone. In Victoria case perhaps the pressure from school work and maybe her low esteem from her eczema made her lose interest to learn. This girl needs lots of encouragement and freedom to be herself. Don't pressure her. As you said, she may pick it up again, playing just for fun. I wish I can play.
Music lessons were always a chore for me. I used how to play the piano, harp, violin and the recorder. But now, I can only play the PS3.
I felt like I have wasted my parents effort and money.
Post a Comment