JellyPages.com

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The maid that left...

The early days...

A month before William was born, my maid (now considered the old/previous) finally arrived after more than 3 months of waiting for her. I remembered the day I picked Yana up from the agency I was heavily pregnant at 8 months. A car was parked very close to mine after we left the agency, and I was trying to squeeze my belly into the driver's seat. Yana quickly showed concern.

Then when I wanted to buy her lunch, she insisted she is not hungry and that I shouldn't bother. She was hardworking right from the very minute that she arrived, and was eager to work. She had initiative, quick to finish her task and spoke well.

She showed interest in my kids while on the way to the house from the agency and asked about their names. I remembered how she offered to carry Victoria the very moment she saw her. And how observant she was when she mentioned to me that Victoria's nails were rather long and needed to be cut, and how she helped my mother-in-law out of the car to the clinic without being told to.

After the first month that William was born and just a week before the confinement lady take off, Yana offered to give William bath, under the supervision of the confinement lady and myself. She was eager to help me look after little William, and she did her job well.

Sure there were many unpleasant times when she did things her way, or go into her emotional outburst after being scolded. But undeniably she was a good worker, never taking time off for herself during "working hours" and quick in her thinking. During the episodes when the kids were admitted to the hospital, Yana helped me a great deal by keeping the house clean, and cooking for the family, doing her work without my supervision. Sometimes I feel she can think like me, doing things ahead of me without being told, and knowing my standard of hygiene.

I cherish most those times when I planned the day's menu and she executes it to her best. The first Sunday in church with the new maid, I immediately missed the old maid. Even Victoria felt the same.

Her relationship with Victoria started of as good friends, teaching Vic how to sing Indonesian songs, coloring and painting with Vic, etc and towards the last 6 months it was more of a love-hate relationship as Vic grows older and begins to have her own opinion, the two of them sometimes clash.

As for William, I would like to think that Yana treated him well, from feeding him milk and putting him to sleep during the day time, to playing with him whilst I rest or do my work, and cooking his porridge and bathing him.

However, there were those times when we got so angry at her for being careless with William and as a result causing some minor cuts and bruises on him, there were times when we got angry at her for talking back, for not admitting her mistake, for reinterating herself as high and mighty (she is actually an above average maid as she can cook very well, clean, take care of baby/kids, garden, sew and even massage!).

Taken on Yana's last working day

Then came the new maid. She is nothing like Yana. From the first day here, she has not shown much interest to get to know the kids, nor does she fare well in her chores. Obviously the kids have not accepted her, not even now after close to 2 months. She doesn't know hygiene and speaks in her funny lingual although she is from the same side of land as my previous maid. She needs a lot of supervision and even does wrong right after being told how to.

I know there is no such thing as a perfect maid. Although I know William will not remember Yana, but I want him to know that she played a part in his life, and despite her flaws and some unpleasant episodes, I think she's been a blessing nonetheless, and placed in my life at the right time.

In the meantime, let's hope the new maid bucks up.

No comments: