JellyPages.com

Monday, September 19, 2011

Pictures of Bentong over the weekend

We went up to Bentong last Friday, which was a public holiday being Malaysia Day together with our cell group friends. There were altogether 14 adults and 8 kids, all booked into the One World Lodge Hotel.

I practically did nothing much except eat and hang around the hotel.  On the way up, William soiled his pants with soft stool, my fault really for thinking that he would tell me when and if he needs to answer natures call.  Afterall, it was only a short 1 hour drive up from KL.  But guess with friends around, he was shy, even when we suspected and asked him in the car, he kept saying no.  But all 5 cars including mine stopped at the Janda Baik petrol station, and poor boy was sitting on his own very soft pasty stool, and some even dropped down from his pants when he got out to walk.

In my haste to dig for clean clothings and a diaper and baby wipes from the car boot, I bended a nail that made it tore from both ends, and the pain was excruciating.  Seconds later as I got distracted with William walking around the car by himself in the petrol station, I slammed the car boot into fingers of my right hand that were already in pain, but the pain from the chipped off nail worst and that covered the pain from the car boot.  What arse luck, you could say.  And now I have to go clean some arse - really this was all my fault, I was silently blaming myself.

After the nail came out on the next morning...

But God is always good, and thank God that even as hubs was not around as he has left earlier with a few other cell group men with their duties as transporters, a good friend in my car helped me clean William up.  I did a quick rinse of both William's soiled pants and shirt behind the petrol station at their wash area.  Boy was very quiet and cooperative - guess feeling bad? 

After this, Victoria hopped into another car to spare herself the ordeal of smelling foul.  William's car seat was stained and sent to the boots.  In the car continuing our journey, I asked William why he didn't tell me that he needed to poo.  He mumbled some answers but I guess he was just shy.  So lesson learnt, next time I better not take any risk and just wear diaper for him.

We arrived late morning, checked in, got the family suite that came with a lounge and 3 bedrooms each with en-suite bathroom, pantry facilities and even an LCD TV! The rest of us took individual rooms each. My first impression of this hotel was... wow, this place really exceeded my expectations.  The thing is, my other experience with 3 star hotels in small towns were not entirely satisfactory (read, the one in Lumut) but this hotel in Bentong was clean, even to the Koreans, and well maintained.  The furnishings and electrical items were in good condition, relatively new and the staff were all Chinese and one even spoke fluent English but all were very friendly and helpful.

Later I discovered that our mattresses were covered with mattress protectors, and they were not old.  I did a quick but not thorough check on the pillows that were clean and not stained.  Me being me, I even swiped my fingers on the decorative flowers and window panels to check for dust - almost nil.  : )  Another big added point is this hotel is located in the centre of down, very strategic opposite the market, and within walking distance to all the famous Bentong food.

I let the pictures do the talking... 

The famous home made egg-free Bentong ice cream shop.  Outside the shop is a makcik selling nasi lemak with an out-of-this-world sambal.   

Digging into his coconut ice cream.  Personally, I like the coconut ice cream from Paramount PJ better but hubs said the Bentong ice cream is more creamy and not too sweet.

Comes with different mix of condiments. 

On the first night dinner, we ate at Golden Court - an air conditioned restaurant which also caters to wedding dinner.  In fact, there was one upstairs at the time we ate but the food quality is magnificent, service was fast and price for two tables of 22 pax came to RM400. Very very reasonable. Pictures taken of some dishes from our table (the kiddy table, so all children-friendly food except for one)

This is one of their signature dish - brinjal with minced pork.

Their sweet and sour pork was tender and not the kind with fatty parts hidden inside.

Braised tofu.

I think this is belacan or spicy mixed vegetables.

Deep fried telapia fish with generous heaps of crunchy garlic garnishings. 

The next morning, I had Vietnamese noodles at a kopitiam a few blocks from the hotel.  Run by a man and a Vietnamese lady whom we speculate could be his mail order bride wife.

For lunch, I had the nasi lemak outside the ice cream shop.   I love cucur udang, but this one is below average and not recommended.  Just eat her nasi lemak and sambal is good enough. 

William with his Korean girlfriend, Rebecca.  The same girl made special efforts to take care of him when we were in Korea last November.

Making funny faces at the camera.

With two pretty girls, Rebecca and Wynette.

Playing with friends.

Vic doing her yoga : )

William relaxing himself.

Morning market opposite our hotel.  Sells vegetables, fish still swimming, clothings, etc

The popular wan tan mee stall was sold out by lunch time on the second day.  On our last day, we ate there for breakfast.  Also one who loves wan tan mee, I say this stall's wan tan mee is worth a 5 star review because the noodle is soft yet bouncy, the char siew is lean and tasty and the wantans are smooth and delightful.

My favourite! Next time I will eat 3 bowls!

Visit to a family managing a goat farm.  Vic with a good friend, Aunty Sharon.  The goats are a special breed, very clean and looks huggable to me.  Unfortunately I skipped this part of the programme as William was  rather laugai after lunch and I decided to stay back in the hotel with him to let him rest.  Turned out he rested only an hour, whilst the rest went to visit the farm and Chamang waterfall.

Second night dinner we ate here. 

The restaurant's signature dish... something something chicken.  Not bad.

We left Bentong after at noon on Sunday.  Will not mind returning for the wan tan mee... hehehe.

11 comments:

Small Kucing said...

on no...that must have been very painful.

Love the scenic pic and happy faces

Unknown said...

Where is Bentong?

Unknown said...

@eugene, Bentong is in Pahang.

coffeesncookies said...

I always thought of Bentong as a sleepy town producing the best ginger for confinement. With so many attractions and clean hotel.. I think I should make a trip there too.

Adrine said...

*OUCH* (looking at the first photo)

Food sure looks good. I'm gonna put Bentong on my "places to visit" list. What's the name of the hotel?

Anonymous said...

simon : hi, can i hv the tel. no. of the hotel? I cant find it in the web. Price? Thx

Unknown said...

@Adrine: One World Lodge Hotel. Ample parking opposite or along the road.

@Simon: 09-2221088

Lee said...

Hi Irene, nice pics. Regret to read of your painful experiences. Hope your hand, fingers better.
Love the pics.
We have couple of friends here from Bentong.
I used to stop there for lunch before heading to my other destination.
Nw it has resort hotels? Thats nice.
Best wishes.
Lee.

Unknown said...

@Uncle Lee, hi hi! My finger has since recovered no permanent damage. The hotel or motel that we stayed in is not resort style, just a very basic, clean hotel that offers no club facilities. Only coffee and tea, and new, renovated bathrooms, and cripsy clean white towels! : ) Even complimentary bottled mineral water... not bad, eh? Room service upon request, with no added charges!

On thing I notice about Bentong folks is, many of them kept asking us which part of KL we were from. Quietly I was wondering even if I told them, they wouldn't know where the place was, right? But apparently they are relatively well off, with children all working in KL!

Ann said...

Gosh...your poor hand!

Thanks for the suggestions on the hotel and a nearby place to go. Bentong would be a good place to take a little break. Thinking of it even this weekend. :)

Adrine said...

Ok, thx for the hotel info!