Today we went to Danmoen-Aduak Floating Market. This time, we get to sit on the "sampan" / boat which got the kids including myself excited! The journey to this place was also a long one, taking close to 1.5hour. By the time we arrive, it was noon, and we wasted no time, book a boat that can sit all 9 of us for only THB500 for a round trip take last an hour or so.
Whenever we see something we like on another boat or at the stalls by the side of the buildings, we indicate to our rower to stop. We bought a plate of "siew yoke" rice for THB50 which the kids devoured in no time, and a coconut (THB20) to quench our thirst. As haggling is expected, the local sellers mark up their prices very high, and once we haggled for a sarong. Asking price was THB850, we offered THB150, she dropped price a few times and lowest was THB200, but she didn't close the deal for us. I was not going to pay RM20 for something I can get cheaper here in Malaysia ; P
The kids including cousin Theodore each got their belated Christmas present each from Mama Yeh Yeh here... their very own metal tuk tuk!
This is how they do business.
Before getting on one of these boats, William was very excited.
Thai "siew yoke" rice with sweet sauce for THB50
Duck noodles for THB50 after the boat ride. This is tourist price, which I think is pricey as the portion was small and the taste average. The locals pay half the price.
And this is my darling Vic with me
Wooden cats and frogs for sale in the hot sunshine
We bought these grilled bananas from this lady. I forgotten the price, but the bananas were not very ripe therefore not very sweet.
Daddy bought 8 bottles of imported Evian water for the kids' drinking water. Initially he bought half a dozen mineral water from Vietnam from one of the 7-Eleven stores, but on the second night, we couldn't find the same drinking water and ended up with the Evian waters after checking out a few 7-Elevens. THB39 for each bottle....
whilst the parents drink local Chang water...
Continued - I forgot to mention...
Pratunam / Platinum, Bangkok
We went back to civilisation in the afternoon, another 2 hour ride. We were supposed to get our massage at Health Land (initially I thought this was an organic farm where we can get some fresh produces, but boy, am I wrong...) which is actually a professionally managed massage centre that has a building and car park of its own. The place was fully packed, with a waiting list of 1 hour for body massage and 30 minutes for foot massage, so we decided to skip this.
Bangkok jam is bad. We encounter jam in almost every trip and according to our driver, it takes 1 hour for 1km... how bad is that?!! I was beginning to feel my buttocks becoming flat and needed to be fluffed back into shape!
By the time we got to our next destination, which was actually really nearby, at Pratunam shopping centre, it was nearly 5pm. Communication with the driver was not easy, as he speaks minimum English (worse than my Camb maid when she first arrived Malaysia) and a little Mandarin.
Shopping in one of the malls in Pratunam was delightful - I think almost similar to the floating markets we have been, only with air condition this time. The sellers also have wholesale prices, and my disappointment was that they close at 8pm, which we didn't know otherwise we wouldn't be eating our dinner at 6pm!
Managed to buy some hair clips for myself and Vic and a Cars2 pyjamas for William. Buying things for boys is not that easy as there were not many choices, but when he got excited over this pjs that cost THB300, we decided to get it, as the shops were closing anyway! Loads of elegant girly shoes and beautiful accessories for the women/girls. We only manged to cover 1 floor in that 2 hours. ; (
Hubs and I had did a quick sprint over to Central World shopping mall whilst Mama Yeh Yeh waited with the kids for the others and the van. The fastest paktor session we ever did... but very memorable.
After we got back to the hotel at night and cleaned up the kids, Mama Yeh Yeh babysitted the two kids whilst hubs and I went for our foot massage just opposite the hotel. Cost THB250 for a 1 hour session, cheap mou? Whilst I enjoy my massage, also reminding my masseur to put on more pressure, poor hubby next to me was silently grimacing in pain, trying to take his mind off the torture inflicted on his flesh by playing handphone games. Oh, the things he does for love... just to be with me : )
We walked back to the hotel, checked that the kids were fine with Mama Yeh Yeh, and feeling hungry we walked opposite the hotel again in search of supper. Found a roadside stall with some people eating there and ordered Tom Yum Kung, a plate of rice and grilled pork! What is visiting Thailand without eating their Tom Yum Kung?! For our supper, we were charged a hefty THB250 which I feel is a rip off, as this is definitely tourist price, moreover the portions were not big and the cooking average. Oh well...
Tomorrow we leave for home, it's bye bye Thailand...
3 comments:
Yeah I too had my same reservations abt the drinking water.
Nervous abt Vic's first day tom???
Dunno why Vic and william's schools (different) both start on wednesday 4 th, not tomorrow... U make me nervous la... I keep asking friends when the school starts, just to be sure.
Danmoen-Aduak looks interesting. Is it out of Bangkok?
Post a Comment