JellyPages.com

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Jakarta Holiday Day One

A month before this trip, I started researching the internet and asking around for friends' recommendations for places to visit and accommodation.  I realized that there are far too many malls in Jakarta and having been warned by well meaning friends of the time-killing, patience-draining and nerve-wrecking traffic jam in Jakarta, we have to decide wisely on the right hotel to stay close to the malls or destinations of our choice.

So began an exchange of a few emails and conversations with a church friend from Seremban.

Finally we decided to stay at Novotel Mangga Dua.

The day before our flight - Friday, 1st November 2013 
My Testimony

Would you believe it that we only started to pack - like REALLY pack only the afternoon before our flight?  The day we were to fly was a national public holiday, being Deepavali and we had planned our annual open house visit and this year it was held at my cousin Morgan's house nearby.

That afternoon after I dropped William off at kindy, I headed home in my happy la-la state.  Around 230pm, as I took out our passports, I decided to flip through and to my shock and horror, William's passport had an expiry in two months' time.  How was he going to travel with a passport less than 6 months validity?  I quickly called hubby who was on his way back from Ipoh.  He was only due to arrive at 430pm.

Taking his advice, I rushed out back to the kindy to take William home early.  I explained to the boy on the way that we have to pray hard, and if he can't get his passport renewed, he won't be able to travel with us. Deep down, I knew only a miracle from God can help us, because the Immigration Office won't be open the next day being a national public holiday, and moreover numbers are limited and normally all given out early in the morning.  Even if we manage to get a number, the normal procedure takes 3 days for a passport to be ready. 

But desperation calls for no logic.  And God has no limit.  Prayer was our only hope.  I told hubby that I will bring William to the closest Immi Office at Kelana Jaya to "try my luck" and take his passport photo, in the meantime while waiting for hubby to arrive.  If that fail, at least I get William's passport picture taken and we can head straight to the other Immi Office in Sentul, which opens until 10pm.  But that was not our preference as we also had cell group meeting that night.

Long story cut short, this was the sequence of events at the times as accurately as I can remember.

345pm - arrived Immi Office KJ and as expected, all numbers were out and there was a big crowd spilling out of the reception area.  I explained my situation to the officer at the entrance, and he grumbled a little before telling me to check with the officer at the counter.  I reexplained my situation to the officer at the counter who then told me to take the side door for authorised personnel only and speak to his supervisor.

The officers inside were initially not willing to help, and told me make my way to the Sentul Immi Office.  But just as I was leaving, still holding on to William's hand, the supervisor in charged told me to return at 445pm (15 minutes before closing time) to look for her.  In the meantime, she told me to get the photos and all documents ready.

William took his new passport photos without delay and I rushed home to pick up the other documents required.  I think I paid RM10 for 6 pictures, or was it 4?  Can't recall in my haste. 

430pm - Picked hubby up from Morgan's house and we all headed to the Immi Office again.  In my heart, I was half wondering if the supervisor would play me out and continued to pray hard.

445pm - I took William and looked for the lady supervisor again.  She directed me to another officer at the Counter (no queuing needed, nor number given).  Officer at counter took our documents and payment and told me to collect the passport at another counter.  I headed there, but the second counter told me to return at 515pm.  Dropped hubby back home.

515pm - Back at the Immi Office with William.  Crowd have all gone by now.  We approached the second counter lady and explained our situation again.  The receipt stated collection on 4 November but we received William's new passport this very day, at this very time.

All praise and glory to God!  The lady supervisor did not want to reveal her name to me, and neither did she wear a identification tag.  I thanked the first counter officer and the collection counter lady profusely and each said I needn't have to thank them, as I had only to thank their supervisor.  At 515pm when I collected the passport, I asked if there was ANY WAY that I could thank her supervisor, and the officer told me, "It's ok."

This was the first time we had such fast, efficient and courteous service all in one experience.  From 345pm to 515pm, it took only 1.5hours from my first plead to my eternal gratitude.   We were treated like VIPs even!  Surely and truly God was orchestrating all these, and no way can this miracle happen if not for Him.

Saturday, 2nd November 2013

Hubby just recovered from a mild food poisoning, possibly from a bad burger at A&W a few nights ago.  I banned him from attacking the tempting curries and dhal at the Deepavali open house.  If he has a weakness, it is Indian food.  Vic was down with sore throat and I put her on the ban too, because she needed a fast recovery before the holiday.  William had a mild case of diarrhea in the morning and I was worried that it may deteriorate, which will be a huge inconvenience in the plane and public toilets in Jakarta were not expected to be clean or aromatic.

Committing all in prayer to God, everyone miraculously recovered in time.  I put a diaper on William - just in case - and it was clean even when we arrived Jakarta at night.  Vic's sorethroat seemed to be under control.  Daddy had no more symptoms and the precautionary medicines that we brought along wasn't used at all.

Mama Yeh Yeh's flight was separate and via MAS.  Since their flight was delayed, they waited for us and together we hired a Toyota Alphard to our hotel.  By the time we reached out hotel it past 10pm.

Standard room, clean and functional.
  
We played UNO at McD whilst waiting to enter the gate.  Good job Vic for packing these cards into your little pink bag

Food wasn't too bad.  Supper on flight.  We had spaghetti, roast chicken, pizza, green curry rice and briyani ordered online and added a muffin on flight because the boy was still hungry.  Thank God for Seremban siew pau which Popo bought for us and insisted we bring along in case we got hungry in the hotel.  These came in very handy.

After meal, best to sleep.

At the hotel lobby.  These are all our luggage, almost half are empty in anticipation of mega shopping.  Between the 6 of us, we had a total of 45kg of check in weight, and 42kg of hand luggage weight.
 Shops were already closed when we checked into our rooms so we might as well clean up and sleep "early" in order to be fully charged up for the next day's shopping adventure! 










No comments: