Continued
Friday, 22nd November 2013
We purchased entrance tickets for the Penguin Plus and 3 Parks which includes the Churchill Island Heritage Farm, Koala Conservative Centre and the Penguin Parade.
In 2006, when we brought Victoria here (then close to 2 years old) we visited Maru Koala Park where we got to feed kangaroos and took pictures with the koala bear. This trip, we were past Maru but "Shirley" at the front desk informed us that we could still visit the Wildlife Park before it closes. It was good that we stayed in Cowes which was near to all the attractions.
We paid AUD46 for the family package and given a packet of feeds each. The experience was definitely worth more than the amount paid - to say it best... it was priceless!
| A cockatoo showing us the way? |
| Dingoes. We are not allowed to go near. See the sign on the fence? There was another fence before this electric fence - double security! |
| A couple of them sportingly posed for me |
| Victoria feeds at a distance. She was fearful but bravo for overcoming her fear. At one point, she got upset with Daddy for walking away and "leaving her behind" |
| See the kangaroos all waiting behind? |
Not knowing how many more hungry kangaroos beside these in this area, we kept most of the kangaroo feed. But regretably, we should have finish feeding these roos as there weren't many more later. A couple here and there but they needed coaxing to eat - obviously they have been eating the whole day already!
Enjoy the following video...
William kept his packet of feed hoping that he will have the chance to see more kangaroos in this trip. But we did not, and the last I saw the packet of feed was in Kelvin's car. ; )
We couldn't stay later than 5pm because that was the time that the Park closes. Just as well, as we hurried off to town to grab dinner to eat and bath in our apartment, before our next adventure at the Penguin Parade.
I had identified a burger outlet from their advertisement in a tourist map, claiming 100% pure Australian beef, free range eggs, etc so we headed there. Just after I ordered, William told me that he needed to go poo poo. There was no toilet at the burger outlet, and no toilet in the shops next door, nor any toilets to be seen nearby. I told Vic to stay put in the burger shop whilst Daddy and I split to look for toilets. Daddy took William with him. Then I lost them. I walked up and down, in and out and stood along the walkway hoping to catch sight of hubby or son.
A hotel was in sight and further down I spotted a public toilet signage. By then, our takeaway burgers were ready and Vic and I went down the road to look for the public toilet. Couldn't see any. (Later I found out that it was behind the cruise office down the road.)
Time was running out as we needed to be at the Penguin Parade by 7pm. So we went back into the burger outlet and waited. Shortly I received a SMS from hubby that William was taking a long time to finish his "business." When we reunited, hubby said he had to order a pizza from the shop just so they could use the toilet! Oh well, all's well end's well... Vic had had her burger dinner whilst waiting, and I managed to gobble down half of my dinner as well.
William dug into his burger in the car, as we rushed back to our apartment - without speeding, because here in Australia, we have to be very careful to follow the speed limit!
Bathed the kids in record time and we hurried out again, this time headed to the Penguin Parade.
Thank God that there is no traffic jam in Cowes and with the GPS, we didn't have to worry about direction. We got there a little past 7pm, but in time to redeem our penguin brochures and free drinks and take a stroll down to the deck.
| At the entrance, there is a board telling us what's the comfort level like, so we know how to dress "appropriately." |
| We saw penguin burrows along the way |
| Me and my two precious |
| It drizzled just a little before we saw this. God is so wonderful! |
Here are pictures that I borrowed from the internet of the fairy penguins that we saw that night. It was a little challenge to keep the boy sitted as the deck got more crowded, and we had to remind him many times to talk quietly or don't talk at all. Obviously the 45 minutes wait for the penguins was boring to William. Victoria was easy on this.
We spotted the first shy penguin somewhere high up on the hill. But it didn't come down. The first flock of penguins turn up from the beach nearing 845pm, which was dusk. You really don't feel it's late with the sun staying up late like this.
This is when it got more exciting. Victoria can remember a little bit of her first experience here in 2006. William prefers to touch and interact with the furry bird, just like how he does with the other animals and he got a little upset that all he could do was watch. Cannot talk loudly, cannot jump around, cannot run around, cannot touch, cannot feed... Totally not what the boy would call fun! But guess what, when we were leaving, he wanted to stay back!
Nearing 11pm, just before Woolworths closes, we went in to grab some fresh milk and ham to go with the bread that EC packed for us. Oh, did I mention, that she passed us this bag of food as we left her house yesterday, and merely said it was for our breakfast. She had lovingly packed bread, can food to make sandwiches, peaches and nectarines for us. She is such a darling!
I have to mention also that I simply loooovvvveee shopping in supermarkets overseas. We are totally spoilt for choices! Just choosing the fresh milk, hubs and I stood there comparing for 5 minutes, and another 5 minutes just to decide which yogurt to pick. The kids wanted one type, but I preferred them to take another type, and then hubs saw this really organic goat, no flavour yogurt. So I taught why not, and had to convinced the two
I picked up peanut butter also which was on this week's promotion.
Then we headed back to Glen Isla for the night. No one was tired, despite a whole day of activities.
More fun tomorrow lined up...



1 comment:
The kangaroos are very tame, gentle and "polite"....they are such a joy to feed :)
Haha I guess we have a common interest here. I love shopping in foreign supermarts too! Nothing attracts me more than groceries :p
Post a Comment