JellyPages.com

Friday, January 3, 2014

Year End Blues and First Day Back to School

*fuuuuuuhhh*

I just blew away the thick layer of web from my blog as it has been neglected for weeks now.  We have been so busy, in and out, here and there in the month of December, that I haven't got the block of time to sit down and finish off the Melbourne holiday posts.  A few blinks and then it's the end of the year, and I'm dreading each day after Christmas, counting down with precious last few days of holiday before the beginning of a new year, new routine and new work in new location awaiting.  No, I'm not back to employment, that's for sure.

Let me apologize for the halt in the Melbourne holiday posts to those who were following, and allow me to start with a short note on the year end before the sentiments dissipates away.

Myself

Regrettably or not, I have never really sat down to look back at the year that past, but as a whole, the feelings were good throughout this year.  Except for a few times this year all with regards to my black baby - firstly in January, God taught me a painful lesson on humility and forgiveness.  Not without footing out a four digit bill as a result too.  The second time something happened to my car, I vouched it was NOT my fault but the third and final round was really, REALLY bad due to my careless mistake and misjudgement.  By then, I was very sure I am not destined to drive a Benz.

What can I say, "I'm sorry.  But I still you my Blackie... mummy didn't mean to hurt you."  (Some may think I'm going crazy already... blerrrgghh)

A little more than a year back, I was contemplating whether to change William's kindy class from morning to afternoon session.  We had to toy with many what ifs and finally decided that putting both kids in afternoon school will be more beneficial in more than one way.  This proved to be one of the better decisions we made because we all got to sleep in a later in the mornings (super happy on this) and therefore we didn't need to stress both parent and child to sleep early... thus we could consider going out for dinners at the mall (you know how time consuming it is just to drive there, find parking, walk to the restaurant, order, wait, walk around, walk back to the carpark, drive home...), running errands at night and spending longer family time after dinner.

Mummy got to enjoy her me-time too after dropping William in school.  The only downside was to drive out in the middle of the day under the scorching, hot sun or get caught in the heavy downpour during the monsoon months.

Hubby

I really can't speak on his behalf but I think he did quite well this year, despite having a new job portfolio which require more traveling between regions.  God as His helper, I must applaud hubby for continuing to maintaining a faithful walk in Him, prioritizing family time, and allocating time for ministry and Cell.  I don't know how he does it, because I am a far cry from his energy level and passion - being the more lukewarm, mundane and passive party between the two of us.    

He continues to be the children's Optimus Prime, Hulk and Papa Smurf.  Other times, Daddy plays the villain (not by choice but because the kids determines so) and the two kids would pretend kick, climb on top and over, jab and poke,  pull and push, topple over and laugh with their Daddy. 




The badminton and football games he plays with the kids are precious times everyone enjoys.  Cycling is also one of their favourite times together and they'd normally hit the park at the back on free evenings or cycle a short distance in the morning to buy roti.

Victoria

In school, she was nominated as Class Monitor after the May holidays, together with her BFF Kristen as the Assistant.  Together they work well as a team, and if I may say, this was a happy year for her because of her BFF.  The girls talk of boys like they are some foreign alien, and then they tell of boys teasing them and who is who's boyfriend or girlfriend.  For the fun of it, Vic has a boy interested in her by the name of Z.

An impromptu class photo on the last day of school.  Her teacher is a gem.

Zachary, Victoria and Kristen

In her co-curriculum, Vic passed two gradings in taekwondo in 2013 and now holds a Yellow Senior belt.

During lesson

In music, she stopped the courses in Yamaha school and we started her on private lessons, beginning from Grade One ABRSM.  I'm happy that her sight reading has improved, and she has learnt more in music theory.  Practicing still seem to be a chore for her, and she needs to be reminded constantly.  On the same note, we bought her a refurbished, second hand piano that now sits proudly in our dining area.  To prepare the addition of this new family member, we pulled some wires and placed new lighting and fan, and before the year ended we added photos frames on the piano wall to make it more "homely."


To my princess, I pray you grow more lady-like and take time to meditate on God's words.   May the new year be a year of many blessings and improvements and your heart's desires come true!  We love you always, and your Doggie and Heh Heh too.


William

He made some good friends in school last year.  When he doesn't want to tell or share, he'd play the forgetful game.. getting away with, "Err... I forgotten" followed by a cheeky smile and half wink.  When I walk him into class, this boy never fails to hug me good bye and plant kisses on my face much to the amusement of his friends.  Some kids can be quite mean when they start laughing at a devoted son showing affection to his mother. 

To develop his passion for drawing, we started him and Victoria on art class.  He drew many pictures of his favourite character this year, Spiderman but bad mummy has been lazy on taking pictures.  I store all these precious drawing in a box for each child, and laminate a hundred (or thereabouts) good ones.

He loves animals - all sorts of them and this picture is taken with a stray dog that joined us at the park.  This boy would run and cycle with the dog, and even pat and play with it under mummy's watchful eyes and constant nagging "Be careful boy boy... enough la... "

William is always cheerful and it's hard not to love his smile and cheekiness.  Part of me thinking either he will get away with that smile of his or get his bum bum smacked by teacher when he enters Primary School. 

To my son, wishing you a year ahead of developing good character, discerning right from wrong, maturing in your words and thoughts, never ceasing in your smile and happiness.  You glow from inside, boy boy!

I had a good year, like I said.  And this is only because my family have been healthy and well.  All glory be to God.  Like all previous year ends, I feel nostalgic as if I have not gotten enough of 2013.  This is me, so sentimental and slow to let go but time waits for no one.  I have my reasons - mainly because the new year brings new routine, and what rocks the norm shakes my confidence.  Some days I remind myself to love more, care more, speak more kindly, bitch criticize less and count my blessings. 

This song, sung at different times and venue and occasion, gives much meaning and assurance to me.



2nd and 3rd January 2014

Vic started school in another school also within our vicinity.  William enters his final year in kindergarten which makes him a... senior?

Aiyooo... see how quiet and discipline the kids are in class?  What more, this is without a teacher in class.

My girl looks almost like she's behind bars... she sits beside a kindergarten friend.

First day at school - happy to discover that he has 3 friends from 5yo class and at least 3 others from 4yo class

So this is it... a 2-in-1 year end and first day of school post... a blessed new year ahead to everyone.  Now time to get back to past year posts... ; P



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year to you and your family!

Liling

Daffodil said...

Hi Irene,

I have been following your blog and seen you a few times in fact but you will not be able to recognize me of course.

Can i just ask you a question? Why did you change Victoria to a different school?

I saw your hubby at school on the first day and thought that I was mistaken instead because from what i know, she was in another school. Now that i read your blog, i can confirm that I was actually correct. My son is in the same school too.

Regards,
Jenny

ChloeRuoyi said...

Love the last photo of your family... So picture perfect! :)