JellyPages.com

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Acts of Kindness

I bet we have all heard the phrase, "Random acts of kindness" which basically means a selfless act performed by one to someone known or a stranger.

In our household, I have had to arbitrate arguments between Victoria and William many times, or shush them up, or rain down warnings and if it's bad, I'll have to call an old friend out.  This is so rare, and I thank God that most of the times, it's mainly petty, annoying things the kids do to EACH OTHER just to irritate the other party.

That's what siblings are for, right?  I remember my brother and I, who are just less than 1.5years apart in age gap (he being the older one) used to say and do stuff to irritate each other too.  We'd stretch our vocabulary even to call each other names and have the last word - even when one of us is on a different level of the house!  I remember once when I borrowed his prized Batman cap without asking, which got him so upset at me!  Haha...


So, on one hand I know that likely this "getting up each other's nerves" will not last for kids, but on the other hand, I'd like to have some peace and show of love between them.  I guess it all started one night when things got too out of hand, and I decided that enough is enough.  I told them that they have to:

1.  Show one act of kindness to each other,
2.  Say something kind to each other,
3.  Greet each other the first thing in the morning (or when they see each other the first time during the day) and lastly,
4.  Hug each other good night.

What would be the repercussion if one does not obey the 4 magic criterias?  Well, then the child sleeps outside the room in the dark, not alone... probably with a couple of lizards too!  (I know I know... scare method may not work after a while and shunned upon certain quarters)

Now that we are easily more than 6 months into this "Act of Kindness", I can see that they enjoy it although sometimes they beg me to give them a break.  I have since raised from one act of kindness to TWO acts of kindness, with the other 3 criteria unchanged.  Sometimes the rule of the game can change a little, eg a kiss will give them a pass for everything else.

By dinner or prayer time, I'd ask them each to share openly, with verification by the other party.

The fun part is seeing them do the acts.  It could be as simple as bringing the other person's plate or cup to the kitchen, or bringing water for a thirsty (or non thirsty) sibling, or preparing the pyjama and squirting toothpaste onto the toothbrush for the other party, or helping to bring in the bag, or helping the younger one with homework, or even scooping food for the other person!  Of course, at first they didn't know how to, or what to say and do and needed ideas beyond sharing food.

This is almost a daily affair.  I may not check everyday but I hear and see them improve.  As for the sibling annoyance, yes it's still here but a lot lesser now.  : )




2 comments:

Small Kucing said...

brilliant wor.

It's a nice idea. Better than the old method where parents kept comparing one child.."see your kor kor/Jie jie can help out but why you dont help...." those sort of things

I love the pics leh. :)

mun said...

I agree this is a good way to let them be kind and caring to each other.