Then William came along, and naturally he joined in our annual search for lion dances from very young. I remembered his first lion dance in The Curve (was it The Curve, honey? I hope I recall correctly) and it was ssssoooooo loud but he was totally. un. a. fraid. Yeaaaaaa!!
This year, we manage to see only four. Is that a lot? Not a lot, by my kids' standards. Vic is still afraid of the lion dancers, but I think she's an inch braver now. Nevermind, girl what... we saw another girl her age in 1Utama also scared of the lions. She still ask me to bring her to see lion dances despite her fear. William? Well, let's just say if we are not carrying him, he might just go dance with the lions.
Look at the pictures of the lion dances that we "caught."
First Lion Dance: Singapore Holiday Inn Atrium, on CNY Day One. Troupe comprise of two yellow lions and a baby red lion. Oh, and a Bugs Bunny too. : )
Second Lion Dance: Hubs checked out the shopping malls and we headed to 1Utama new wing with Popo Gong Gong. Due to the heavy downpour, the lions were half an hour late, but their performance were quite impressive with all the stilts. But the drummer not so lengchai and rather chubby ;P
It was here also that Vic received an orange from the lion, and patted his head, more like pushed that resulted in the lion blinking ten times at her face! Vic got a fright and backed off! I thought the lion smelt fear and was being cheeky with my girl, but who would have guessed that it was Vic who started this!
Third Lion Dance: This was at Cycle & Carriage Petaling Jaya. The previous year I remembered the troupe were not very punctual, but this time, when I drove into the visitors' carpark, I could see the troupe already waiting at the entrance with a long-bearded, very dark old man ie the Choy San (God of Prosperity).
As this was held during a weekday at 11am, Vic was at school and didn't join William and myself. Daddy was at work too. But William was unperturbed. The sales manager even carried William and placed him on top of one of the lions that was lying on the floor, peeling the oranges and pomelo. Fortunately, the lion didn't get up at that time!
I must say this is the best lion dance I saw this year. They climbed the very high poles and that created a little suspense. One of the lions were very sporting and cheeky too, as when I was aiming my camera at him, he (the lion head) stopped to look at me, and lifted one of his leg to pose! Pity the shot came out blur and too zoomed in.
Fourth Lion Dance: There is no more lion dances planned after this, but oh, how I secretly hope (and the kids too) that we may chance upon one. The fourth and final lion dance we saw performed at Victoria's music classmate's house in Robson Heights.
It was a birthday cum CNY party, and there was a carnival of games, plenty of gifts to redeem, a generous door gift for each kid, abundant food and gracious hosts. I may put up some pictures of this party separately later.
Back to the lions. When the lion dance were about to begin, my little princess froze. Almost. She hopped onto Kakak who had to carry her, whilst Daddy and William was no where to be seen. Probably somewhere up front. Before this, I brought William to check out the lion head resting on the floor, and the troupe waiting for the cue. This little boy took pictures with the weird-hairstyle drummer, and he actually got to hold the drum sticks!!
Towards the end, the lions gave out oranges and came very close to Vic, who bravely stuck her hand out to receive one.
1 comment:
I love the yellow lions. Some thing majestic about them.
And when the drums start sounding... really makes ur adrenaline rush thru d body.
Post a Comment