Last Saturday hubby and I together with the two kids sent our maid off at the airport for her two weeks vacation back to her village in Cambodia. She was dressed to the nines in her new platform shoes (RM40.50 from Tropicana City Mall), bling bling earrings (RM10 from Paradigm Mall), bling bling necklace (from church book store), skinny jeans and blouses (less than RM100 from Tesco).
Whilst waiting for Vic to return home from her art class, we had our lunch at home. The kids ate in the car on the way to the airport. Kakak had no check in, and took only a handcarry stuffed with gifts for her siblings and parents and minimal personal items. I believe she do intend to return, but keeping our fingers crossed in case she gets brain washed back home.
We taught her how to find her counter to check in, how to look out for her gate to her aeroplane and what to expect. We showed her where to wait for us upon her return in two weeks and some street smart stuff to guard her belongings.
She missed call us just as we requested to know that she arrived home safely.
Back in our own home without Kakak around, I replaced the Glo washing detergent with Amway Dish Drop for my overly dry fingers. A little bit of pampering without the maid around, hehe.
That evening we went for a pre-planned lala dinner with some good friends.
Day One - Sunday 12th August
My first day without Kakak. Opened the curtains in the living room and windows and thank God I saw no lizards. Started the machine and hubby helped me hang the laundry.
We had Indian food for lunch - no surprise it was Vic who had the cravings. After lunch we dropped by the mall near our house for less than an hour. When we left, it started to rain and Daddy F1-ed home but it was too late. The clothes were partially wet and I decided to give them a round of rinsing in the machine, then hung them up again. Vacuumed the whole house and felt pleased with myself - not so much because I did the work but because the floor felt much cleaner. However, I confessed that I did the omitted the mopping deliberately as I'd have passed out in my own sweat by then.
By then the re-rinsed clothes had dried and I took them in to fold. Round up the thrash from all 5 bins into one, then had hubby throw them out for me.
In the evening we went for cousin Theodore's birthday party.
Day Two - Monday 13th August
Day Two was a little more challenging as the kids had school. Did two rounds of laundry with the good sunshine outside. Mom in law who is staying with us this week, helped me fold the clothes and "watch" the kids whenever I had to go for my chauffeuring duties.
My freezer was almost empty and so was my vegetable basket in the fridge. I tapau-ed lunch and an extra dish for dinner. For dinner, I cooked vegetable soup minus carrots, stirfried romaine lettuce and steamed chicken with red dates and wolfberries.
Did a little more vacuuming today.
Day Three - Tuesday 14th August
Managed to find an agent who can provide a part time maid for tomorrow. Yaaayyy!!
Cooked Indian curry this evening at the request of the Queen again, and as a consolation for the brother who cannot eat spicy food at all, I cooked fried rice for him and that also helped me clear off two containers of leftover food, hehe.
This round being maidless seem to be more manageable, maybe because this is just the beginning. But honestly, I felt less stressed this time as compared to the last time when we volunteerily let Maid No.4 go. Having MIL around and the kids being older and less dependent now definitely help.
It is a good break for all of us, I guess. For me, it's just getting back to basics and learning the drill. For the kids, it's teaching them responsibilities. And for Kakak, hopefully she is reminded of her blessings and refreshed and more determined in her work when she return.
Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (糖醋鱼)
1 week ago
7 comments:
Thumbs up, Irene!
But since the PT maid is coming today, you can sneak a little time to put up ur feet and have a pina colada!!! :)
Good for you! Hpe the replacement maid will help you a lot
I hope to have a part time maid to help me out too..but due to many reasons we are not ready to have one yet..
Wah, your kakak is very "hou meng" (good life)... her shoes and clothes are more expensive than mine haha.
For your dry skin, have you tried using gloves? I know, not many people can work with gloves on, including me. I've tried Amway detergents and I don't find them very "kind" to the skin either. I'm currently using Bio-home, which claims be all natural, environmentally friendly, no harmful chemicals etc. It's colourless transparent and I love its fragrance. You can easily find it in all hypermarkets. Can give it a try :)
glad to read you're doing fine without the maid :)
The kids being bigger definitely makes life easier. Has Kakak returned by now?
@Mom's Diary, yes she returned... a relief!
Post a Comment