JellyPages.com

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

She can be my friend

Having a daughter really does have its benefits... I mean this in a funny but good way.  Of course, we are neither traditional nor superstitious, and I am blessed with good parents and in laws who do not prefer any one gender more than the other.

People have shared with me that having a girl first is always better, in the sense that she can be the little helper.  Indeed, Vic has always rised to the occasion whenever we needed her help, sometimes not even having to ask her.  I will always remember and be entirely grateful for her little hands that pushed and pulled the trolleys of our luggage during our holiday in UK in 2010, and she was barely 5 then.

Without her, we would have have to pay tips in pound sterlings to hotel porters and cab drivers, or even risk leaving luggage behind, or been heavily inconvenienced and delayed at train stations and airports.  


Beside being a helper at home, she's also maturing into a friend that I could share my thoughts and feelings with.  You know it ain't easy being stuck at home with barely any adult interaction (if you don't count the phone or Facebook) so sometimes sharing my frustrations or thoughts with Vic is really a special time for us, as she response back in questions and suggestions.  


A week back during this "cold war" with my maid, Vic came over to me many times to tell me what Kakak told her behind my back.  We've even talked in our secret language in front of William and the maid, like how BFFs would.

When I'm hungry, Vic is every ready to prepare me a snack, and she'd happily make me a cup of Milo.  You can even order "tambah nestum" and she'll give you that plus another scoop of oats just to make sure you are very full.  She brought me this special Milo a while back, and in another hand, she was holding a box of biscuits for me.  How motherly, you can even say!  

She likes to take my handphone to send messages out and I let her.  The only condition is she have to write her name on the message, so whoever receives it knows it is from her and not me!  

On clothes, this is where we still have differing views.  She prefers jeans and tees anytime, socks and sneakers all the time!  But me, I'm still trying to coax her into a dress, wear Mary Janes, and tie two pleats!  Now she wants mini short skirts *slap head* and I'm still wishing she gets into a dress.  Oh well.  


I think we can be friends, pretty good friends hopefully... but the test is really when she enter teenagehood.  Man... that'd be when the real challenge starts!  

4 comments:

LittleLamb said...

and i hope it stays...
I wish I had this "friend" thing with my mom too. Somehow...something stuck.

Charmaine said...

It is wonderful to form a strong mother/daughter bond early. I have a great relationship with my Mum and I hope my relationships with my girls continue to strengthen. I want my girls to be able to discuss things with me and tell me what's happening in their lives. it's great having a teenager (despite some differences) to have another person to chat with at home. My poor hubby, he is outnumbered.

mc said...

I hope I will have this r'ship with Keira too as she grows older. Yours and victoria's is absolutely lovely!

leishia said...

aww that's really sweet! <3