A Valentine not so romantic
Our bags packed, our passports ready (and still valid), boarding passes, hotel and tour confirmation printed, no visa required (checked and double checked) and taxi booked to picked us at 3:30am this morning.
Kids settled, and instructions given to maid. Mama and yeh yeh have offered to help. Hubby and I said our goodbyes to the kids the night before they slept. Vic insisted that we wake up before we leave so she can say goodbye to us again, and we did just that. She stirred, open her eyes a little then mumbled she loved us and off she went back to sleep. We left the house excited.
Vomit along the highway
Richard, our taximan sent us to the airport that morning. Somehow that morning I didn't feel well. Vomitted a little before I left. I figured it must be the tossing and turning and over excitement that led to me waking up a few times that night worrying that we'd overslept. I was quiet the whole journey whilst hubby chatted with Richard, but nearing LCCT, I knew something was about to come out. Quickly, I told Richard to stop when he can. He said there's a rest stop further up, but thank God hubby told him to just stop now... and immediately I opened the car door and out came my vomit... all onto the drain next to the emergency lane. A lot more came out, I guess indigestion from the dinner before - can't be those chicken drumsticks and if it was, I hope the rest of the family was fine.
I felt alot better after that, and off we went on our way again, not delayed at all. But Richard was obviously very concern and secretly I'm glad I didn't soil his clean taxi, otherwise so paiseh!
We arrived almost 430am. No checked in luggage, and we did a web checked in the day before. So after getting our documents checked, we proceeded to have a light breakfast at the Taste of Asia.
Darn!
We chatted and lost track of time. 25 minutes before departure time, hubby checked his watch and we make a run toward the gate. Passed the first security check point, passed the second security check point, then headed to immigration, which was where I got through but hubby's passport had problem detecting the smart chip. He told me to go in first, which I did, but I didn't realize that he wanted me to go into the plane first! I got to the gate, and pleaded with the ground crew to wait for him. By the time hubby arrived, it was about 10 minutes before departure time, but they didn't allow us in despite many pleading and appeal.
So we missed our flight. The only flight out to Hanoi for the day.
Feelings? Cannot be explained. We have had close calls before - from almost missing our flight to our honeymoon in New Zealand, to almost missing our flight back to KL from Seoul, to almost having to leave William behind because his passport was about to expire - discovered a day before we flew to Jakarta, and then there was the Melbourne holiday which we almost couldn't go because we didn't have a visa (assumed we didn't need), and I believe another one or two more of close calls that slipped my mind.
But this was the ultimate! We really missed our flight, and I wish and wish it was just a bad dream. But come on, the people around me were real, we were walking, the people here were talking, the bags felt solid, the floor was not giving way, I could swallow my saliva and the feelings were real. Shitty. Sad beyond words. Regret. Angry. And did I mentioned sad?
We booked the next available flight to Hanoi, departing via Vietnam Airlines at 925pm the same day. We burned our pocket to get back into Hanoi, but at least we didn't have to burn the hotel fare and Halong Bay cruise that we already paid.
We made our way back to our house. Got home at 930am - about the same time we would have arrived Hanoi. My head has been spinning since the morning puke and my legs seemed to be giving way. I went to rest and later popped in Panadol when I felt feverish and the headache was too much to bear. The kids came home from school at lunch time, surprised to see us.
In the afternoon, Yeh Yeh gave us a lift to the airport, on route down to Seremban with the kids and maid. For the second time, we said our goodbyes.
This time, we sat right in front of the gate hours before it was due to be opened, and to pass time, we watched a downloaded movie on hubby's Smartphone.
The flight was full. The ground crew informed us that this flight was always full, and it's a miracle that we manage to get seats at a good price.
I sat along the aisle whilst hubby sat across the aisle from me. I had beef rice on flight but didn't finish my dinner when my stomach started to feel squeesy. Despite my efforts to hold it all in, I felt the vomit coming out again about half hour before we were to land... and quickly I grabbed a plastic bag in front of me. There was no sick bag. I was given one only later when the air stewardess passed by, and that was the only help she offered, not even a word of concern. Oh well, maybe because I'm not a child, but at least I didn't stink up the whole place!
| Food wasn't too bad on Vietnam Airlines. I tried everything, but didn't finish everything except the soft bun with President butter. |
I managed to bring the whole bag of puke into the small sick bag, then half run to the end of the plane to dispose it into the toilet bin.
We arrived at 1030pm, and our hotel pick up was already waiting for us. Young Viet chap who drove us in a Vios to our hotel, the Hanoi Glance Hotel located in the Old Quarter in Hoan Kiem District. The hotel staff was helpful. We were given a complimentary upgrade for the night to their Suite Room on the 6th floor, complete with an anniversary cake from the hotel - but I have reasons to believe that these were orchestrated by none other than my hubby!
| Our complimentary suite. Rose petals on the bed even! |
| The small lobby area. Tastefully furnished - as with the other parts of this boutique hotel, and yet clean and modern. |
| The view from our suite on the 6th floor. See how high the shops can go. Narrow front, but tall. |
Since we didn't have much time for this trip, we decided to take a walk out to the Lake as we were told by the Reception that there were many people by the Lake to celebrate Valentine's. It was a nice walk out, and we love the cool weather, a much welcome change from the hot hot Malaysian weather.
| We were amused by balloon traders ON the road, and in THE MIDDLE of the road. They were everywhere, and the cars and motorcycles were just weaving in between them. |
3 comments:
Vietnam looks relaxed and interesting. Sally.
Oh my, so much drama even before the trip started! I don't understand why they disallowed boarding with 10 mins left before departure time. The autogate is not so good of a thing and I guess you both would have avoided the unnecessary delay if you had just gone to the manned counter. Anyway, glad you managed to get another flight on the same day. Hope everything else was good after Day 1 :)
That is certainly a real drama... From beginning of trip until you arrived in Hanoi. I do admire your strong will to stay positive eventhough u were puking away.
Post a Comment