Vic had just two more days of school, one of which was her last exam paper ie Chinese, and the next was her kindy's term party. This year's theme was Indoor Beach Party and the kids were told to wear handmade costumes. Afterwhich, the two weeks of school holidays... aahhh, bliss! (Mummy can wake up later too!)
On Thursday 26th May, Vic woke up with slight nose bleeding, and was having a sniffy nose. When I picked her up, she was really quiet, obviously getting weaker as she was not her normal self and developed a cough.
The next day was Party Day, so wouldn't want her to miss it, but in the morning she felt warm and I gave her some paracetamol to control the fever.
She wore a simple blue sarong skirt that she had never wore before, and her full piece swim suit together with the headgear and goggles. Then she wore her jacket over it, and I told her that when it comes to the parade, she can take out her jacket, and wrap herself with the bathing towel to complete the effect. But she wasn't keen, anyway, I put the towel in her bag. With some friends and her good friend Abigail on the left.
With her class teacher One with the brother. Look at all the wonderful art work by the children at the background
All the other kids
After picking her up, I realised her headgear and goggles were not on her head, and found out that it slipped out on the way to school, so she merely kept it in the bag. When I picked her at school, the joy on all the children's faces were obviously excited that the school holidays arrived and the teachers did a great job with the decos. But my Vic, she was solemn, glum, serious, and maybe I could say... unhappy. Can't blame her, as she must have been feeling so unwell the whole morning.
With another good friend, Keon. Eversince Keon's birthday party in March, their friendship must have blossomed, maybe because of a common interest in Ben 10, and he's given her a hair ribbon for her birthday and on another occassion, a self-made card. How sweet. :)
On the walk back to our car, I did some probing, as usual, on how her day went. She told me that she didn't get "a point" for her costume, and she was clearly disappointed. So I told her nevermind, it's ok. But she added, "It's all your fault, Mummy, coz you didn't make me the shark costume."
Hurt inside, I told her that, and also told her quite matter of factly that this is her party, I am under no obligation to make costumes for her. (Note: Making costumes is an optional role that some mothers take on quite effortlessly, whereas yours truly is NOT into these things.)
She apologized, and apology accepted. Reassured her that winning or losing is no big deal, most important is to enjoy herself. But I think she wasn't listening as she was under the weather. Thinking back, she was probably expecting to win because she won last year's best costume award in her class.
Before reaching our house, Vic slept, and she slept until 230pm then only had her lunch. She was still running a fever.
William also started to have runny nose, so I have two sick kids at home, and it's the beginning of school holidays! Knowing them, and not trying to sound pessimistic, but my kids' sickness can be very cheong hei ie long-winded.
2 comments:
You're lucky that your kids are so easy to manage in times of sickness. Some will be super duper whiny. I like to feed my kids with coconut water too when they are sick.
Yiu Yiu told me she wanted to win the best dressed award too, the night before the party but like you, I'm hopeless in making costumes. So I asked if she likes what she'd be wearing and she said yes, so I told her it doesn't matter if she wins or not. Most important is she likes her costume and have a good time at the party. Sigh! What's with the girls and winning? Anyway, when I asked her who won the best costume award, she nonchalantly mentioned the two winners so I guess she's OK with not winning.
Post a Comment