JellyPages.com

Friday, August 26, 2011

The things that pains a mother's heart

I don't know how to say this. Bitching I can do, but writing not-so-good-things about a very loved one is very hard. But this I want to put down, my frustrations, my anger, my disappointment, my confusion, my heartache.

This story is about a girl who is very blessed - she has a comfortable house to call her home, even a room of her own even before moving in, clothes in two rooms filling the drawers to the brim, the wardrobe shelves to the top.

She have toys, books and hundreds of coloring pencils, parties to go to, and the benefits of music and chinese extra classes. When she was born, she was ferried in a humble, second hand Kelisa - her first journey out from the hospital. Now she gets to sit in a new luxury car every year, sometimes even before the new leather smell wears out.

She have parents who love her to bits, and a younger sibling who adores her.

Yet, she knows not how to appreciate the hardwork her father puts in, earning a salary to support the family. Today in class, she gave away RM10 to a boy, and RM1 to another boy, just for the fun of it. Apparently, "who can put your hands up first" will get the money.

Best part was, she didn't tell her mother that she brought RM10 to school. The money belonged to her, which was part of her pocket money early this year.

I'm not against giving or donating, but not in this way. This is throwing money away. This is NOT appreciating the value of money. This is not appreciating the hardwork her parents put in, the sacrifices they make and mere foolishness.

Have we not advice you against wastage whether in food, monetary or kind? Have we not brought you to see needy families, or shared with you stories of children who have lesser? Did we or the school not teach you about "not lying", and "honoring your parents"?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool down Irene! If I'm in ur shoe, I'll definitely feel the same way. We have taught them everything, we did actually. Maybe she still don't really know how valuable money is. Don't take it seriously ya. Come to square, don't give them too much luxury stuffs...ended they might forget who they are.

Once I told my son RM10 is alot and it is expensive too!

Enjoy ur raya holidays with ur children and ur beloved hubby!

Angeline

LittleLamb said...

Sigh sigh sigh..how come you started giving her allowance so fast? Only give when she knows how to manage it.

Anyway YES. I brought P to a charity home in one year and beginning of the year to UH terminal ill children's ward. I explained to him n of course now he is afraid to go to any hospital thinking he will die there. In fact, every year, I make it a point to go to these orphanage or hospital...Showing our love to the poor, needy, sick...

I hope V will understand and she will not repeat this. She may not know the value of money yet...

Reanaclaire said...

Do not despair, Irene.. she is still young.. she will know the value of money only when we stop buying presents for them... hahaha...
Last time my kids also didnt know the value of money till they went to college and one studying in secondary.. see how long they take to know? :)

BuffaFly said...

How is it she has easy access to so much cash? I'm right now giving my boy 20sen each time he helps me to pour away his sister's pee from the potty and wash the potty. He's earning it for the cambodia mission fund. I won't give him money for keeping his toys, doing his homework etc. That's his responsibility.

mc said...

I think we never know the value of money until we start earning it ourselves. with kids you either gotta drum it into them or make them work for their pocket money:)

Lee said...

Hi Irene, yes, there are such kids.
It is not her fault, but the parents.
I have twice blogged about such experiences....
Where children do not know the value of money.

I had a good friend, single father....his wife died after giving birth to a baby girl. Against everyone's arguments...debates, he brought her up himself, from books, away from grandparents.

And by age 14 she was better than all her cousins, etc.
She could cook by age 9. Looked after her father like a mother hen....her manners was one for the books compared to others.
And? Graduated top of her class, went to a Swiss finishing school.
She was a 5 carat diamond brought up by a father who knew nothing about babies.

Her father taught her arithmetic age 4 using playing cards, ha ha.
As well by 9 years old she could beat us at poker!
Have a nice day.
Lee.
ps, blog title, 'bringing up Audrey'.

Health Freak Mommy said...

I don't give my eldest pocket money. I only give her a ringgit or two once a week. At least she told you what she did with her money. I think she did not know that it's not right to do that. Know that you hv voiced out your utter disappointment, I don't think she will do it again. Just keep drumming into her head that money is hard to find and not to be distributed for fun the way she did. Dont be disheartened. We all learn along the way :)

Ben and Shaun said...

Poor Mummy and Poor Girl. It's not easy for a 6 years old to understand the value of money now. Don't worry. I'm sure she'll learn gradually.

Ann said...

It was a childish act for fun. Kids!

She will learn as she grows up. Keep on doing your best for her. Some lessons are harder to learn than others.

Though I agree with Rachel...I wish to bring my son to see about others in need as well.