A few weeks back on our way back from school, I chatted with the girls about their school day. It was a normal topic, almost routine and getting boring to some extend as their answers to my question of "How's school today?" always gets the same reply, "Good."
My subsequent question would be, "Any Ting Xie, Ejaan or Spelling?" And then the it began. Vic answered, "No" whilst the other girl answered "Yes" and now my ears pricked up. Then Vic quickly changed her answer to "Yes" and I guess hoping I won't notice the initial discrepancy.
But I did. And I did what I do best. I grill.
I found out that Vic was out carrying books for her BM teacher and during her absence, the teacher wrote out Ejaan words on the blackboard, but it was cleaned off before Vic returned to class. So she didn't know about the words to learn, until that faithful Ejaan day.
I did wrong
I did something really bad but at that time it was purely out of anger, so much anger because this wasn't the first time of her forgetting her Ejaan or Ting Xie words... worse still, she did not even copy them! And this was because of her Monitor duties, which we told her should NOT affect her studies. I know... it's just Ejaan words, it will not determine the person that she will be, nor if she will be successful or not, it's just words. But it didn't seem like JUST words at that time, you know. It was the whole thing about not asking her friends about class work missed during her absence, the whole tidak apa, main dulu attitude...
So I told her if she can't handle Monitor duties, then... quit!! So many angry words slew out of me, and when I went home I rummaged through her tuition work and found pages of undone work and threw it at her. OK, before you judge me, this was one of my bad mommy days. I'm sorry, I really am.
Well, the following day she "obediently" followed my words and told her class teacher that she will relinquish her role as Monitor and her class teacher apparently asked why and said "OK, effective September." She came home reporting to me, and since I already felt bad from the time I said such bad things, I slowly asked her if she really wanted to be Monitor, then go explain to teacher the real reason and say Mommy has changed her mine. So the next day, she went back to her class teacher to "say all these."
But guess what... the following day, we were at her canteen and I walked up to her class teacher to explain the situation myself, and her class teacher seemed blur. She didn't know anything about this incident, and then I sort of knew that my Vic probably didn't do any talking to the teacher like she told me she did. Who's telling the truth, was there a misunderstanding, I don't know, but Vic insisted that she did, and I leave it as it is.
Class Monitor she is still... she wears her badge proudly and checks
with me that it's straight and not "covered" by her shirt collar. She
shares this duty with her BFF, Kristen who assist her and they split
responsibilities taking down names of noisy classmates and helping
teachers with books.
Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (糖醋鱼)
1 week ago
6 comments:
Hm...could it be that she told a different teacher? Kids being kids sonetimes words get lost in translation.
Mine too..at times I asked him which teach teach him this , he eould say teacher x. Ask him again, he would say teacher Y.
U r not a bad mother. I get frustrated too with j. I asked him how was his ting xie n he said ok ...3rd week I spotted his book makan telur.
Asked why he said ok...he said coz not enough time to write. Now hv to grill him on ting xie else he'll b lazy to do it
*teacher
i have been scolding and yelling too. glad to read that i'm not the only one. it is so hard to stay in control sometimes. especially when stressed!
Hi,how are your holidays so far???
I dunno whether u feel like me or not...u know like we have spent so much of our time and sweat from a young age teaching our kids about values and telling the truth and being honest with us etc etc...and now that they are big already...in school and we spot discrepancies here and there...and yes, we will never know what is the truth. It makes me very geram lor...and disappointed and worried whether our kids would change negatively or be the sweet kids that we want them to be... :)
You've got a temper as bad as mine haha! I think mine is worse. I can throw books, cane and even scream really nasty words at my kids that I later regret.
We all made mistake, we learn from it and become a better people...
Post a Comment