Yesterday I brought lunch to my kids at school. Since William's lunch hour was half an hour earlier than Vic's, I stayed with him. Pulling out a stool beside him, I sat down quietly and enjoyed what I saw. I saw my son playing "charge" with his friends in between spoonfuls, and how the children just interact and invited each other to play.
A few boys came at separate times to ask "Who's mother is this?" and someone would answer, "William's." It wasn't too long ago that we celebrate his birthday at school with two pizzas and a muffin.
I know how to "behave" when I'm with my kids and their friends. I know not to be that needy parent. I know not to divulge silly or embarrassing episodes of my kids. I know what not to ask. I know my kids need their time with their friends too, so I just sat and watch quietly.
But William knows how to assure me, in a way... not to get odd questions or stares from his friends. He'd put his arms on my shoulder, like one would do to a friend. But I didn't like that so many times I told him to remove his arms.
When all his friends have left the cafeteria, he took a quick look around and seeing only a girl at the end of the table minding her own lunch, he quickly planted a peck on my cheeks before running off. He stopped just to wave goodbye to me. I know he loves me. I know he loves me so much.
One day he will not be a good boy friend, but a GREAT boyfriend to whichever girl so fortunately to win my son's heart. And when that one day comes, mummy will have to know what to do... how to behave... and learn how to take the back seat.
***
In the afternoon after dropping Vic at the tuition when it was just him and I in the car, I told him how touched and happy I felt. The sentiments that I expressed above, I told him in person. Nearing our house, he said, "Mummy can I take a selfie with you?" "Sure, boy boy." "Mummy, can I use my phone to take a selfie with you?"
He explained that when he goes to college, he can only make calls to me, and won't be able to see me everyday. So he wanted the selfie in his phone to look at our photos.
*sweet*
When I have the chance, I will upload his selfie here.
Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (糖醋鱼)
1 week ago
No comments:
Post a Comment