March 9th, Tuesday.
Today we had a simple breakfast - a happy one of clearing some of the food stuff that we brought from Malaysia so we will have more luggage space. Hubby and I had instant noodles, while the kids had ham again with their gluten-free gorrila munch cereals and organic soya milk.
Today's plan is basically to "walk down" memory lane. We did check out my previous accomodations on the first night that we arrived, but nothing beats seeing everything during the day. So we drove to Ranmoor, which is now called Ranmoor Village and not Ranmoor Halls. The place is still big, but the uni have torn down the old halls and replaced them with monstrous looking halls with different names. The old carpark was still there and so is the old "new wing" which they did not touch.
The reception area is now managed by two ladies in a well carpeted area and the automtic doors welcome us. Vic wanted to pee so I brought her in, otherwise we would just have left with only just a peep into the reception area. I remembered back then, there was a friendly old man called Gordon who would receive our mails and handled all our queries. We had double doors which were not automatic at the main entrance. Now each "village" have their own post box for the students.
Happy that the place have improved, but sad that I didn't get to relive those memories of going to the same hall I used to stay in. We didn't stay long.
Down Shore Lane to Fulwood Road. We found parking just behind where the old Somerfields used to be. Now it's a spa place called Eurospar. Another sad discovery for me because Somerfield was where I used to get my groceries for two years. We walked through Broomhill town down to the university, passed all the familiar buildings and student houses. Passed Firth Court where we paid our tuition, and Hicks Building where I had my mathematics lecture. Passed the Perak lab where I once sneaked in with my medic housemate to see the disection of a real cadaver, and then stopped at the new Information Centre behind Hicks Building for our 2pound sausage burger and tea snack. Then we continued our walk down to Mappin Street, where the Engineering faculty and business/finance/economics faculty is. The St George's Library was still there, and so is Blackwell's bookshop next to it. We walked into Mappin Building where I used to have my tutorials, and then we took the bus along Glossop Road back up to where we parked our car at Broomhill.
Back in Broomhill, hubby and I took the kids to where we had our first Valentine dinner... at Broomhill's Baltiking. It was opened for lunch, but when we walked in, the place looked desserted with no other patrons and only one waiter who also acts as the cook.
We had two set lunches, comprising of starters onion bhaji, kebab, and main courses chicken kurma and chicken bhaji with pilau rice and white rice, complete with english tea! The kids, unfortunately, did not enjoy their meal and it was quite tough getting Vic to finish her portion.
After lunch, we drove to the city centre, parked our car and walked around the High Streets. It was great seeing all the old and new shops again. Maybe it was a weekday but I used to remember those days, when I would pop down to the city centre during a weekday and still see a fair crowd. However, on this day, there were not as many people as I used to remember.
One obviously new addition to the city centre would be Sheffield's Eye, a smaller version of the London's Eye. It's right at the top of High Street, and Vic caught sight of it the moment we came into view, and she pestered us consistently to sit in it. We told her ok, provided if it does not cost a bomb.
Well, it did not really... both her fair and daddy's fair did not exceed 10pounds but the picture which they took and bought (because the little girl said she liked it) costed 10pounds!!! As for me and William, I happily brought him window shopping.
Tonight's dinner is homecooked. Marilyn cooked beef rendang, stirfried salmon with mango slices and some other dishes for us. We helped her and I had a crash course in cooking : )
Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (糖醋鱼)
1 week ago
4 comments:
hi Irene.. i m Claire from www.reanaclaire.com Ipoh. Coming by via ryan's blog.. Read thru yr post, seems u have a nice Saturday.. :) have a great Sunday..
Omg.... reading this, I felt as if I walked down memory lane too! Oh, I remember BaltiKing. Can't think of what I ate, but I remembered it was good. And only for special occasions cos it was so expensive on a student budget.
Sad to hear that Sommerfield is gone now. I think I stopped by daily last time, b4 my steep steep climb up to Taptonville.
The sports area still there? (err, called Goodwin or something?) I remembered we went there together last time. Tho i think we ended up chatting more than using the machines. he hehh..
Yea I think the sport centre still there... I got you a little momento from the uni, nothing much, jst the latest maps and buildings of sheffield uni. i think that would be precious. yea, i remember our climb up to the sports centre, maklum both of us wanna have celebrity bodies by "working out" at the gym... hahaha
Ooo, thanks for that! Yes, it would be lovely to see how the uni looks like now.
When are you free to go "yum cha"? I'll arrange with you via FB :)
Post a Comment