JellyPages.com

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Money money money

Last year I mentioned to Victoria that I would like to start giving her pocket money this year because she turns 6 this year, and when she goes to Primary School next year, I would like her to know how to use money wisely. Maybe too far fetch an idea but it's somewhere to start with.

Piggy Bank

Coincidently or not, after I planted the idea in her head, she said she wants to have her own wallet to keep her money, and Daddy also opened a CIMB Junior account for the two kids, getting each of them a complimentary Toys Story "piggy" bank.

For many times Vic has asked us to buy her things, from simple drinking water in bottles to pretty stickers to bigger toys and stationaries. Sometimes, we oblige her, but most other times we tell her no, let's not waste money.

First wallet

So last December as we were shopping for some Christmas presents in Toys R Us, she saw a Strawberry Shortcake wallet which she liked. Cost only RM14.90 and I had a RM10 TRS voucher with me, but she kinda demanded for the wallet from Daddy instead of asking nicely. Because of that, she got a negative answer, and unhappy with that, she walked over to me asking for the same and hoping for a different answer. This is one trick she uses sometimes and both Hubs and I are quite familiar with that.


Long story cut short, Daddy gave her a talk about her rude behavior and after an apology, and hopefully a lesson learnt, she got her Strawberry Shortcake wallet. Victoria's first wallet! Complete with a slinky buckle to lock on to her jeans! My my, this girl was elated and so proud of her wallet.

But don't get me wrong... she's not INTO Strawberry Shortcake. She doesn't even watch the show, and I've no idea what this strawberry girl is about. Vic just likes it probably because it's girly (read, pink) and her friends has it.

Pocket money

Sometime soon, I will start giving her her first pocket money, starting small with a ringgit each week. (Sorry lar, mummy got no income, so have to start small)

For her new piggy bank and wallet, she's already got contributions from Yeh Yeh and some coins she picked up around the house. I once asked her to buck up her courage to ask the waiter for the bill, which she refused because of shyness. When I offered to pay her RM1 for that, she did it. :)

Yesterday she was playing and sucking on a toy pacifier. How shame shame, but hilarious! When I took down the camera to snap a picture of her, naturally she took the pacifier out and ran away. So I quickly used my trick, and offered her 50cents and Mama added RM1 for a nice picture shot. Victoria quickly obliged! See, how money can get her to do things???


And don't you forget to pay her, because she remembers! She still doesn't know how much RM1 can buy, and have offered to pay for our meals one time. I must remind myself to give her a notebook to keep tab of her little savings, especially with CNY just around the corner!

4 comments:

Inspired Momx1 said...

Your post reminded me of a scene when Ian was about Vic's age. He had a RM1 note with him and insisted to pay the bill with it when the waiter came with the bill. It was so hilarious that everyone burst out laughing.

Adrine said...

Good idea to start young! I like the notebook idea too. :)
Must remember this when Elyssa is about Vic's age.

Tammy said...

ayy, isn't that wallet a strawberry shortcake character and not Dora?

Unknown said...

Oh ya Tammy, you are sooo right and I'm so embarrassedly ashame. Better get it changed. Thanks for highlighting. That just shows how out-dated, uninitiated and blur I am with regards to these girly cartoon stuff... err, they are cartoons, rite?