Half way playing, William got probably got bored, and decided to irritate the sister, which he normally does, and poor Vic started yelling, and then he threw the clean but unfolded laundry onto the floor, which got Vic telling him to pick them up.
I let them be all these while, as I was engrossed in pouring out my unhappiness in a complaint letter, and just wanted to get it off my chest. Afterall, I read in Nicky & Sila Lee's parenting book that it's good to let our kids sort out their own conflicts themselves, to hone their problem solving and negotiating skills.
As William was in his cheeky mood, Vic decided to abandon the Playdoh for her homework. The next thing I knew I heard Vic screaming for her brother to "stop it! It's painful!" Pain is a horrible four letter word that triggers me, so I quickly got hold of William to reprimand him, at the same time checking that Vic was alright.
He refused to pick up the laundry mess that he created earlier, despite my yelling, and then I threatened him with the cane. In the early days when he sees his mother angry, he would cry immediately, or when I mention or take out the cane, he would then relent.
But that day, that faithful Friday 8th April, when I went to grab Mr R O Tan, William immediately ran upstairs, and I decided to give chase. When he saw me, he started running the remaining halfway up, laughing all the way! Hhmpk, with the angry mother behind him holding the cane, and he thinks it's funny????
He ran into his room, and cornered himself near the window beside some toys. Quite smart, because I didn't have much angle or space to whack him. So I told him to give me his hand, but he hid them both behind his back, and I proceeded to land Mr R O Tan on his legs.
FIATTTTT!!! Once. No tears.
FIATTTTT!!!!! Second time. Still no tears.
Third time. Still no tears. This boy is very hardy, can tahan pain, not that I hit him very hard, but for someone his age and size, that should send the tears flowing.
So I give up caning him. No point whacking him anymore. Just told him (again) that mummy is very angry, disappointed, and what he did is not right, and if he was going to be obedient or disobedient, easy way or hard way, he had the choices all laid out.
I went downstairs. He came down later and I told him again to clean up. I'm not giving up, so he sat next to his Playdoh, refused the sister's help, and even told her "not to friend mummy."
Yea right!
So what did I learn from all these? I think it's gonna be difficult disciplining him in the future, if he's not even afraid of Mr R O Tan. If the cane doesn't break him down into tears, then I smell problem. Haha. Oh well, cross the bridge when I come to it. Or easier, pass him to hubby.
So what did I learn from all these? I think it's gonna be difficult disciplining him in the future, if he's not even afraid of Mr R O Tan. If the cane doesn't break him down into tears, then I smell problem. Haha. Oh well, cross the bridge when I come to it. Or easier, pass him to hubby.
4 comments:
Omigosh! Sounds so much like my younger girl. Only difference is she's not even two yet!
I think nowadays...kids are totally not afraid of the rotan anymore. Or maybe they are so used to see their elder siblings been shown the 'rod' too often oredi.
So perhaps u have to tap further into what he fears the most now...
Like for Ryan, since he was never scared of being beaten, he is only afraid of being locked up in the dark store room! Mei mei the same.
I guess boys will be boys. It's never easy disciplining. Are girls any easier?
What u did is right. We must discipline a child if he disobeys.
From a book I just read.. if the child does not respect his own parents, it is disobedience .
Post a Comment