Since September 2008 when she had her first blood test which confirmed her severe food allergies, her diet has been well controlled, even until today, and as parents, we more than applaud Vic for her patience, maturity and understanding in abstaining from all the allergens, not easy for a child her age.
The rashes that appeared two Fridays ago took about 3-4 days to totally clear off, and thinking that was the end of it, Vic contracted one red eye on the Thursday after, 14th April and thinking it was a result of her aggressive rubbing when she woke, I brushed off the thought of conjunctivitis. But her school, being very precautious, called me within half an hour and asked me to pick her up "just in case".
The doctor later confirmed it to be conjunctivitis, caused either by viral or allergy (??). She was prescribed antibiotic drops which cleared her red eye almost immediately, and antibiotic cream for her lip area - which has been very dry, cracking, peeling, bleeding and now letting out secretions showing signs of slight infections.
Last evening, I realised her right elbow skin has lumpy dots, some bleeding and looks very scary.
Honestly, if these are all caused by that one allergic outburst, it must have been something very "poisonous" for Vic's body to react this way. I don't know what this is, and she says it's painful. I'm sure it is, because it even pains my heart just to look at it.
I'm bringing her to see the doctor tonight, after the Elomet steroid doesn't seem to show any signs of improvement. So is it time to give up on the doctors? Her allergies are manifesting in so many ways, it's hard to pinpoint one out and say it's the culprit, it's even hard to find out what is her allergy now, because just recently she has been zerorised by Dr Wong.
What can Dr Yadav say about this? He will just run another blood test to confirm her allergies, tell her to abstain, becareful of what she eats, and that's all. Can anyone heal her? No.
I'm saying this in public now, I am giving up on the doctors. We have seen enough, and unless there is one who can confidently, through proven records with patients still living, stand up and say s/he can heal her, we will pay! But at this time, I am feeling the hopelessness in human beings. I almost think there is no cure, and the sad thought always creeps into my mind... can my precious little girl be as normal as she can be?
So the big question... is it time to give up? Yes. On doctors. On humans. But no, although I'm giving up on people, I am not giving up on God. If He will, He will. If He doesn't... well, when I get to heaven, I will ask Him.
Vic, mummy shed tears for you. I am helpless as it is now. One day when you read this, I hope you would have been healed and stand as testimony for the One who created the miracle for you.
Update @ 510pm
Brought Vic to see the nearest GP as our paed is not opened yet. He diagnose it as impetigo , and later mentioned furunculosis. I googled both and felt Vic is more of the former ie impetigo. He has prescribed oral antibiotics for Vic, and suggested the same antibiotic cream used for her mouth and her elbow too. Healing should show in 48 hours. The cause of this could be due to her weaken immune system after the allergy attack, and resulted in all these. Hope this is the last.
22 comments:
hi, i feel so proud of you when i read this post. you are such a great, courageous and loving mother that it touches my heart. i believe you are doing the right thing, to place your trust in God and let him handle this situation for you. i love this song "God Will Make A Way" by Don Moen for moments like this when you choose to surrender your humanly wisdom for His all-surpassing grace.
I wish you success and the courage to walk through this time of difficulty with your family!
God Bless!
My heart sank when I saw your photos of Victoria. It is heartbreaking to see esp when all of you have been diligently making the effort for Victoria. Will keep all of you in our prayers, that you will find a solution or remedy for Victoria. Take care.
Hey,i can feel for Vic,i am sure how it feels like with this rashes and all but don't fret, just continue to place your trust in HIM ya.
By the way, my two cents here, please consult a pharmacist that you can trust and i am sure there are some supplement that can ok the condition, to this i am confident cos i have my trusted pharmacist doing it for me once,,,
will keep you in my prayer ya
@Anonymous, are you the pretty lady I meet every Friday with two pretty daughters? Thank you for your comment, I like that song too. I don't know how long this battle will take, I only hope it doesn't get worse along the way.
@Charmaine, thank you for your prayers. Every prayer counts. God bless.
@Eugene, I don't know any pharmacist personally, except for blogger mummy Leona. She's taking supplements, but only selected types. Cannot take the sweet type or with coloring kind. Thank God Vic is ok with all these. She's a great girl.
Really heartbreaking to see the pics of her lips and elbow. :( Allergy can be such a tough battle!
Experienced that last week too when I was bbsitting my nephew. I woke up at 3am for the toilet and saw him scratching away - I massaged his hands, he scratched his legs; I massaged his legs, he scratched his hands. I gave up after 15 minutes and gave him anti histamine. Next morning, I was distressed when I saw all the scratch marks, some of which were open wounds.
But surprisingly (and I think similar to Vic), he is more nochalant about it compared to us adults. And just like Vic, he doesn't complain when he's told he can't eat certain food items.
I'm amazed by how strong kids can be, and I suppose it's a sign that we adults can be even stronger. So, don't give up ya? Take care! N get well soon, Vic. :)
Hi, I'm actually a student from Singapore and happen to chance upon your blog :) (I hope you don't mind this)
Find peace in knowing that God has His plans and through good and bad, He will walk with us. I know that this is easier to say than to believe, but this is probably the best thing we can believe in too, when the going gets tough.
Stay strong and focused!
Hello Irene, regret to read, see Vic's allergy problems.
I'm sure she'll recover soon...
No idea which or what food causing that?
I really feel for your daughter, at her age to be suffering from this allergy.
Hope the doctor traces it to whatever soon.
Here some kids are allergic to peanuts, thus peanuts banned in schools.
You stay easy and wishing Vic a quick recovery.
Lee.
Hey,,may be later i can go and see my pharmasist friend and ask him about what supplement good for impertigo ok,, will just share the info i got may be later,, only for reference lah ok?
i forgot to tell you this, it is only 7 o'clock but the first time i buka the PC, just had the urge of coming to your blog to check Vic out...
Victoria, uncle eugene will pray for you ya,,, and i will try to get some info from my friend about the impetigo,
take care and you pray too ok?
Good morning Irene,
I just checked with my pharmacist friend, he told me "there is nothing alarming about it" don't worry, it is rather common happen to mostly children.
He suggested this ointment called Bacitracin-N to apply on the infested spot to kill the germs if you want to get to the root of the problem, do get Vic to consume Pro-Biotic tablets to boost the immune system,,,,preferably a brand call Bio-Grow from Canada, it is herbal based.
Please note that this is solely the suggestion i gathered from my pharmacist friend,,,, ya.
Also please tell Vic that uncle Eugene has prayed for her this during my devotion time so ask her to hang it there,, it will be gone in no time,,
take care now ya
Glad you haven't given up totally. The update sounds good in the sense at least we are going somewhere.
Lord, we pray for Vic that You build her immune system. That Lord, you help her body fight against the allergies. Heal her Lord and help her not to get an attack as bad as this ever again. Lord, we pray that as Vic grows older, her allergies will go away until she is completely healed.
Lord we also pray for Irene that You will give her strength. Strength to fight this battle out with her daughter. Strength to watch her daughter's diet. Strength to be firm when she needs to say 'No' to Vic and strength to be diligent in her search for right food for Vic.
Take care Irene. Don't give up.
@Uncle Lee, when we discovered her allergies in Sept 2008 (http://victoriaandwilliam.blogspot.com/2008/09/september-11th-sad-day-for-all-of-us.html) she was allergic to almost every food item except for fish and pork. eg, No yogurt, no sausage buns, no roti canais... all these were her favourite back then, even now. Her road to recovery is up and down, but as of now, she has outgrown her allergies to dairy and wheat and chicken.
At present, we only know she's allergic to eggs and yeast (includes all kinds of mushroom/fungus) and has high tendency to candida, so no sweets/colorings/flavorings. She's also highly allergic to dustmites. As informed by Dr Wong, her allergies can manifest/change to different forms, and that's the hardest part to tackle.
Fortunately Vic is NOT allergic to groundnuts or tree nuts, nor pet dander, confirmed multiple times through blood test and muscle testing.
@Eugene, dropped a comment in your blog and truly appreciate your help and prayers. God bless you too.
@Anonymous, I'd like to know your name to thank you personally for your prayers and encouragement. The saying is true that when we are weakest, He is the strongest. You stay healthy and all the best in your studies. Drop by when you are free. ; )
@Adrine, yea, itchiness is one part. The part that scares me the most is what happens within her, that we don't know, don't see. Hope your nephew outgrows too.
@Ann, thank you for your prayer. I am touched, and have conveyed to Vic that many good aunties uncles out there care for her. God bless.
Hi Irene,
My name is Charissa :)
Perhaps you want to add me on facebook? - charissa_ong@hotmail.com
Take care and, God Bless!
DO NOT give up at all. because the moment you do..the EVIL one will be rejoicing. He is deceiving you to believe nothing can be done.
Btw, google for lingzhi ganoderma. This natural ingredient can help. I m a firm believer of this as i m taking it myself to look young.
Can i email u?
@Hallie, yes you may email me at ms_yew@yahoo.co.uk
Hang in there mummy.
Jesus loves Vic more than anyone else could. Jesus bore all our sicknesses, including Vic's allergies, on the cross 2000 years ago. By His stripes, she is healed!
That's the truth. And tho it's hard to see it now, esp with her rashes, continue to declare it over her and one day you'll realise that it's all cleared.
Just rest. Hugz!
You are a very strong woman & mother. You are doing very well with Victoria. I know it may not be easy at times but you are handling it well. Pray and surrender to God, place your trust in Him and He will be with you. He didnt promise us an easy and smooth path in this life journey but he did promise to take our hands, walk with us and be with us in times of difficulties.
I am sure Victoria knows that Mommy loves her very much and is doing all you can to ease her pain.
@All, thank you so much, I am very touched by all your encouragement and prayers, and I hope one day very very soon, I can post up one BIG happy post that VICTORIA HAS BEEN HEALED THROUGH GOD'S MIRACLE, and Vic can read all about this, part of her journey in this blog. The rest, she knows better than all of us, when she looks back and smile.
God bless all of you.
oh dear... oh dear.. i've not been bloghopping much until i read this post. Vic's flare up looks really bad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed mine will be healed although she does show flare ups here and there, once in a while but never as bad as Vic's
try other method in boosting her immune system. vco ? olivenol ? manuka ? cordyceps ?
Just to share, mine's on cordyceps and manuka now and I find the double boiling of winter melon with rock sugar helps too.
hugs and don't give up. despite her allergies, your princess is still a happy healthy child.
Oh dear! The impetigo looked bad. Hope she has fully recovered from it now. Unfortunately, food allergy is not something that can be cured. We can only wait till she outgrows it.
@Mom's Diary, a lady working in the doctor's lab told me that her son and her grandson has dustmite allergy... her son never outgrew that, so it's very sad news. But we will manage that, and for food allergies, yea I pray Vic outgrows within this year. She is on NO medication / drops on her allergies now, only probiotics and abstainance.
Post a Comment