JellyPages.com

Friday, July 22, 2011

Understanding Victoria

I have been neglecting my blog for more than a week, and I'm guilty of no other reason than simply too busy with work.

Eversince we got back from our small holiday spurts in Kuantan, Ipoh and Singapore, Vic has been catching up on her homework (too much until she informed me that she does not want to go on a holiday anymore if she has to skip school).


Little Miss Vain Pot

 Lately I have noticed my 6yo has been rather vain. I mean, she used to be a little vain up till now, but not the kind who would dress up in pretty pink dresses, mary janes, or make belief princess-stuff. She says she likes pink and princess, but she's really, deep down, a Ben-10, jeans and tee kinda gal. She keeps insisting that she will only wear a dress if I do, but honestly folks, I have put away most of my dresses except for very formal event, or the occassional concert. It's easier to open up the drawer and do a eenie meenie miny moe on which jeans to wear!

Once she came downstairs with her head full of clips (she does this quite often until I have to tell her not to look like a hair accessory shop), a sleeveless pink top, a short pink skirt from her toddler days (and maybe a pink panty to match if off?) Because this is such a rare occassion, I just had to snap some pictures.


Many other times, Vic would spend time after bath in front of the mirror, combing, tying, knoting, clipping her hair and could easier take up to 30minutes if not for her screaming mother. ; ) At other times, especially in the mornings when we are rushing to work, she'd come up with weird hairstyle request for me and I'd have to say no, because we don't have that kinda time to experiment.

Pleasing Mommy

I know many kids want to please their parents. I think Vic does this more apparent now, or maybe she's getting very sensitive with words, so better be careful on what we say. I've had futile efforts to get her to wear a dress, and she'd resist my attempts to buy her new dresses or skirts.

During an outing with Daddy last week, she happily went shopping for a dress and matching shoes. Poor hubs, said he almost got conned into paying RM180 for a "globe" puzzle that she wants, if not for the fact that I intercepted him and explained that the one she wanted cost only RM6.90 before discount.

When she bought the pink-brown dress, she told Daddy that it was because Mummy wanted her to wear a dress. When she came home, she surprised me in the dress. But sadly, a couple of days later I asked her to wear the blue embroidery skirt I bought her months back that she hardly wore, she wasn't keen. Aaahh... two of us are already logging heads at her fashion sense, I can't imagine years down the road!


Curious

Vic can understand all languages that we speak, and one that we don't ie Mandarin. She understands Cantonese too, eventhough she don't talk it. So there's no more secret language for us, unlike those days. When we adults talk, she listens and sometimes jabs in her comments and questions.

This girl asks questions like at what age Daddy started working, when can she drive, when will she get her handphone (this question has been bombarded many many times) and why can't she apply lipstick. Oh, and I promised her that for her Sweet 16 birthday, I will give her her first lipstick (funny how mummy started wearing lipstick at 15, but Vic has to wait an extra year). Last night she asked me why baby Jesus was born in a manger, not a palace.


Sibling jealousy?

The two kids don't always get along. It's not uncommon that Vic gets into the car after school and brushes her brother off, or grumbles on why William get to sit in front all the time. It's not uncommon that two of them argue over the same thing like what DVD to watch and who gets to sit in the middle of Daddy's car.

Vic has asked why we scold her more than William (obviously because she's older and can understand, and repetitive offence require reprimanding), why William get to sleep late but she has to sleep early (because she has morning school the next day, and William doesn't, moreover William took his afternoon nap while she didn't).

Vic has this wishful thinking that she wants a sister. She's also wished that she wasn't 6, but younger so she didn't have to go to school. She's also taken a dislike for homework maybe because she's been getting too much.

And like the English weather, Vic's mood changes quickly and erratically. She needs plenty of assurance, and easily gets insecure. When faced with any disagreement or opposition, she'd normally back off with a glum face and uncontented heart.

So there you go, my Vic is growing fast. Sometimes I feel I don't understand her, sometimes I feel there is a communication gap, sometimes I feel it's so hard to crack her and dig into her thoughts.

5 comments:

Lee said...

Hi Irene, kids their age are fun.....sometimes they can give frights, sometimes bring tears to our eyes, but most times it feels great having them.

And you know when your girl is growing up fast....like what you posted.
As well they'll try mummy's high heels, even lipstick...
or watch mummy dressing and say, 'when I grow up I want to be beautiful like you, mummy'.
And thats when boys start getting problems, ha ha ha.

Thats a very nice portrait shot of both of you....your smiles can light up a street...Holy Smoke, she can be mistaken for a young sister.
Have a pleasant weekend.
Lee.

Unknown said...

At the age of 6yo like Vic, she is getting more matured now on what she wants and she wanted to do...guess is part of growing up!

Unknown said...

Uncle lee, hahahaha thank you again for flattering me... That is not my best pic of mother daughter but it's hard to get Vic to smile naturally to the camera. She is sooooo shy.

Thanks for dropping by again...

Anonymous said...

Nice pic of you and Victoria! She has a pretty smile, very sweet :>

Liling

coffeesncookies said...

She's a lovely and sensible girl. Be thankful she likes girly stuff and pan leng leng. :)