Yesterday Victoria stayed home instead of going for her playschool as she came down with flu on Tuesday evening. She kept sneezing with lots of clear secretions flowing out from her nose. As William just healed, he too showed signs of a little flu.
So yesterday I brought the two of them to see the doctor in Taman Tun and they were each given antihistamine to combat the flu.
Victoria was rather restless at home, but admittedly I couldn't spend much quality one-to-one time with her as William was around and needed to be looked after, whilst the maid helped with the chores. There is this little jealousy (little I hope) in the older sibling and she shows it by not wanting the brother around, not wanting to be around the brother, sometimes taking his toys away, or keeping her toys to herself, or even explicitly saying she doesn't want William. It pains our heart of course, and we try our best to assure her, to explain to her that we should love our family members, and how "benefitial" William is or will be to her. She has her moments. I notice that she loves William more and is more accepting to him during the evenings and night. She would understandingly allow me to put William to sleep, then wait for her turn. I remember fondly those times she would kiss him without us asking, or she would pray for him.
Anyway, today I let Victoria stay home again. When she woke (surprisingly early at 745am by herself... I secretly wonder why during the school days it's so difficult to even stir at that hour?) she immediately asked for Daddy to bring her to walk outside the house. Just like the good ol' days.
Daddy brought her. They decided to sit car instead. She "bought" breakfast for me. It was wa tan hor and she told me there's egg and she can't eat. They went to the playground at the back of the house and she happily got her socks dirtied and proudly showed it to me and Kakak. After breakfast and William have slept, Victoria and I spent so much quality time together.
First, we went to the garden and let Tom the Tortoise walked out. For the first time, she took Tom out herself eventhough she said she was afraid. We "looked after" Tom by holding brooms each, and barring Tom from hiding or running away. Mind you, for a tortoise, he sure is fast. After a good half hour of exercise for Tom, we put him back in his container and fed him. Vic washed his container and put the vege in for him.
Then we went in, she obediently washed her hands with soap, and I peeled a pear for her to cut and mince. She love using our small chopping board and a butter knife to mince her fruits, and keeps to the condition of finishing it later. I sat down by her side as she requested, not doing anything but just taking a spoonful of her minced pear now and then out of obligation.
After that, we sat down for awhile to play paper doll. Then I bathed her as she was sweaty and sticky and scratching her scalp. Then we played computer games. She sat on my lap as she watched me play (I like this, coz she wants me to play and just enjoy watching). Shortly later, I told her to rest as I think her medication has been kicking in and she'd feel sleepy by now. She asked for a story and I took the Puzzle Bible story out. As I did that, she spontaneously told me, "Mummy I missed you".
As I type this, my tears swell. I felt so touched. I missed you too.
After the stories, I told her to close her eyes. As I watch her sleep, I pray to God for a moment longer before William wakes from his morning nap, just so that I can have this happy closure with Victoria.
Daddy Mummy still love you very much, girl. Eventhough our family is now four, William multiplies our happiness and I hope she will feel the same too.
Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (糖醋鱼)
1 week ago
1 comment:
That's such a sweet post. I spend so much time with Elyssa that I sometimes wonder how I can make time for No. 2(no, not that it's on the way)
Good to know that though it's not easy and it does take extra effort, but as parents we'll somehow manage :)
Post a Comment