JellyPages.com

Friday, August 14, 2009

Money for the poor

Two weeks back the Children Church which Victoria attends, gave all the little children a plastic food container each. They asked the children to collect money for poor children and return the collection to the church in 6 weeks' time.

Today I gave Victoria a handful of coins. I explained each value of the coin ie 10cents, 20 cents and 50 cents. I secretly added a little test and explained to her that she can choose how much to give to the poor children. She can give a little, or some, or everything. What she doesn't give, she can keep for herself to buy things that she likes. But what she gives, the church will help buy food, clothings and books for the children who do not have what she has. Of course I didn't tell her that I was testing her. To be honest, it could have been easier to just give her the money to put in the container, and leave it as it is. But I was curious to find out how she would react and decide. And I made sure that my explanations did not sound biased to either side.

I left her for awhile whilst I went to the kitchen. I can hear her counting the coins. Then she yelled loudly "I have finished, Mummy!" Excited, I went to her and she told me that she give EVERYTHING for the poor children.

Wow, I gave her a tight hug and said that's very good. Mummy is soooo proud of you, Vic!!! And then I felt compelled to tell her that God will bless those who give, and I'm sure that as the little children receive all the goodies, they too will pray for blessings to those who give.

I wanted to take a picture of just the container as I thought Vic would be shy (as usual) but she just popped her head in and smiled...

The love gift

No comments: