JellyPages.com

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Day 10: Hatton Shopping Centre, Warwick and finally… SHEFFIELD!

March 6th, Saturday.

Today is the day the Lord has made. We checked out at 10am this morning, after bathing the kids before breakfast and last minute packing. We paid Marian the balance 150pounds on top of the 60pounds deposit already paid during booking immediately after breakfast. When I handed back the keys to her and thanked her for the lovely stay, she commented that both Vic and Will are such well behaved children. Hhmm… and I thought the English kids were more well-behaved!

Hubby had a little challenge to pack everything into the car. We drove to the barn this time (pampered lar coz it takes less than a minute’s walk) and then got down to say good bye to the lambs. However this morning, there were not many lambs and I think the farmer has moved them all to the fields as the baby lambs become older and stronger. Seemed like God has his perfect timing and we got to see so many baby lambs and speak to the volunteer-lady on our first day at the barn.

Today the place is quiet except for the usual radio in the barn that is left on all the time. I commented to hubby that the animals in the barn are such a pampered lot… because they even get to listen to music!

We took more pictures with the big tractors and excavators and the kids just loved this. It’s so difficult to get Vic to smile in front of the camera, or even look my way so that explains why if you see less pictures of Vic on my blog. But when it came to the big tractors, well she’s number one.

Next stop – Sheffield. But first, we detoured to Hatton Shopping Centre which we saw in a brochure we picked up at the farm and might as well Warwick too, since it’s less than 30minutes’ drive away.

Hatton Shopping Centre is located in a secluded area, but yea, there were tourists and even locals there, and only 16 specialty shops selling antiques, home furniture and kitchen appliances, shoes, apparels and food. I don’t recall buying anything from there although I almost got myself a pair of walking shoes because my sneakers gave way (open crocodile mouth) but on second thoughts, decided not to because it was not entirely comfortable. I wouldn’t want to end up with another pair of shoes that hides under my stair case (oops!).

It was outside one of the shops that we had a small chat with a Hong Kong man who has been staying in the UK for many years. He was with his golden retriever dog and his English wife appeared shortly later. This man, coincidently used to work in Sheffield and has preempted us that Sheffield has changed. I already heard this from a friend and am emotionally prepared. Oh anyway, I wanted to say that William touched his dog… this could the first or second time in his life so far. He was so brave although he is always afraid of yet curious about dogs. When the man invited the kids to touch his dog, William went first whilst Vic as usual kept away shyly. I wish I could record the triumphant smile on William’s face when he touched the dog’s bum bum. Then Vic followed suit, and William again.

Warwick was next. It was lunch time, and we decided to have a simple Chinese take away and fish and chips in the car. At the fish bar, the guy behind the counter was originally from Albany but has been living in the UK for more than 10 years now. Seems like I have been chatting a lot with foreigners who live in the UK.

We drove to Warwick Castle but didn’t pay to go in. It’s way too expensive – I think it’s 20pounds per head if I recalled what hubby told me. We only used the public toilets there, but didn’t get to see the Castle, so no pictures on that.

By now, it’s 2pm and it takes 1.5hours to Sheffield. We targeted to arrive 4pm and not too late.

At slightly past 4pm, we found our friend, Marilyn’s house. Nearing Sheffield, I am already so excited. I will write more about my feelings, my impressions and my thoughts on Sheffield-rediscovered in a separate post.

Back to Marilyn. She used to study in University of Liverpool with hubby doing another part of engineering. Then she continued her PhD in Sheffield University and we also discovered that she loves cooking, and can cook very well. Wow, we are definitely so blessed to stay with two wonderful people ie Ivy and Marilyn who can both give Jamie Oliver a run for his money. Besides, cooking (and baking!) this superlady is also musically talented and plays the piano and drums.

She was preparing dinner for us when we arrived. Guess what… Yorkshire pudding, with baked bacon strips wrapped around chicken drumsticks marinated in rose wine (I pry into her secret recipe each time she dish something out) with parsnip and sweet potato as a side dish, and finally english tea for dessert. She cooked rice and stirfry minced pork with long beans for the kids.

After dinner, the kids helped themselves to her drum set. I felt so paiseh. Finally convinced the kids to stop playing the drums (actually, more like making noise) with the promise to go out. Mummy is very excited too, because I can’t wait to see a few key places again.

First stop – Crookes – back to the house where I stayed during my final year of uni.

The GPS took us through roads I was not familiar with much to my disappointment but when we got to Bates Street, which we (my ex housemates and I) once joked that was the steepest road in Sheffield, I was escalated! At the top of this road joins to Slinn Street.

I told hubby to stop the car outside the house. The address was 51 Slinn Street.

I stood outside the door in the very cold weather. Hubby and the kids waited in the car. This is the moment, the very moment that I so dreamed of, so waited for, so wanted for. But my tears didn’t flow. Maybe it was the cold or maybe it has been too long. But I loved this place.

This house was where we cooked, where we laughed, where we walked in and out, and many happy memories live in this house. I peeked in through the front door glass and through the window blinds. No one seemed to be home, although the kitchen lights were on.

I remembered saying, “God… can you believe this? I am back. I am. Finally. Back.” I took some pictures of the house. The place looks like never changed.

We drove down the roads where I used to remember walking, to the bus stop I used to wait at and get down at, and the through Crookes town. Some of the shops are no longer familiar to me.

Then it was Broomhill. The little town I used to walk past everyday from my halls of residence to my faculty during my 2nd year.

And finally, Ranmoor Halls which is now called Ranmoor Village because the university has tore down the old buildings and renovated the place.

Then it was back home to Marilyn’s house in Norfolk Park to call it a day.

The kids slept in the car, and William woke many times during the night crying maybe due to unfamiliar surroundings or cold. I was so afraid that he will wake our host and her housemates.

Naturally I didn’t have much sleep or good sleep, but it doesn’t matter. I am back in Sheffield. : )

3 comments:

LittleLamb said...

I'm sure it brought lots of memories back to you. Do you think your professors/lecturers are still working? Perhaps you can pay them a surprise visit.

Joseph Wan said...

Aisey!!
How come no photos?

Unknown said...

@little lamb: i had the same thoughts as u but didn't have the chance to get the list of professors still in the faculty... too little time.

@chee hung: aisey, i haven't got to the pictures yet. still catching up. and i don't get internet access all the time. so i write them in word doc whenever i can.