JellyPages.com

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I don't want to love you

Yesterday Vic and I had a little tough time in the afternoon, after she consciously, slowly and deliberately tore 1/3 page of her book while we were having a nice mommy-daughter tea time in a corner of the room. The episode couldn't have turned more ugly. I mean, afterall, we were cozy in the air cond room and William just slept, and she had her plate of eggless-chocolate cake and I had my small packet of Cheezels which she gave to me (from her party pack).

So I told her to give me her hand that tore, but then she refused and was about to cry, and I quickly got her out of the room before she wakes William.

In we went into William's room aka the play room, where I reprimanded her for tearing her book, which by now, at 5yo she should know better. But stubborn girl refused to let me "pat-pat" her hand, so she got it on her bum instead.

Then as her "punishment", I said she read the Word Bank on the last page of her book, afterall, she easily wheeze through the whole book before that. Our friend refused of course.

If she was obedient and let me "pat-pat" her hand after tearing the book, then apologized, we could just moved on and continued our little tea time. But no... do wrong already still refused punishment. So...

Finally with some coaxing from Mr R O Tan, she read all 14 words in the Word Bank, and came to the last word, "Happy" which I've earlier on explained to her the sounds of the alphabets and taught her the word. The fact that she can read the 14 words already is such an accomplishment, and that also shows that she knows the words, just refusing to read.

Stuck at the word "Happy, and in between her sobs she muttered "Mummy don't love me" which btw, I have heard before and I am not in the mood to give assurance. That, can be later.

Then, she said it... "I don't want to love you."

Finished. I closed her book and told her she can stay in the room and even have her dinner there.

I left.

Later in the evening, she came out of her room a couple of times and was sent back in, and the 3rd time she really apologized and hugged me.

"Mummy I am sorry, I promise I will not say 'you don't love me again and I don't want to love you.' I said it only because I was angry."

I was still nursing a broken heart even after her apology and she obviously knows. So the remorseful little girl finished her dinner quickly that evening and even wiped the table for me, and also offered to take my plate into the kitchen.

All's well only at night when daddy came home and gave her a good sounding and then we were reconciled.

Don't say this again, Vic...

6 comments:

Ann said...

Sob sob....I know how you feel.

Came over to see your blog following your comment in Eugene's blog.

My son at 2+ is already saying the same to me. Does it get easier to hear?

Adrine said...

Hi Again!!! It was so nice to bump into you just now. Vic looks even prettier than in her photos. (My 2 colleagues commented - the little girl is so pretty, just like her mummy :) ) And little Wil was as handsome as ever. Really looks so much like SK.

Such a coincidence that we arrived in the carpark at the same time AND our cars were parked side-by-side somemore. Ha ha... really need to buy lottery already.

Ok, I'd better get back to work after my self-extended lunch ;)

Unknown said...

Easier to hear? Well, she used to say Mommy don't love her, but this is the first time she said, I don't want to love you.

Unknown said...

@Adrine, ya man... it's so nice to bump into you, esp when I don't really frequent Tropicana for lunch, but only coz Vic lamented (again!) yesterday that she don't get to eat in a shopping mall... (but lazy mommy is NOT gonna drive all the way to 1U and such, haha)

Reanaclaire said...

our kids.. sigh..i also just had a tiff with my girl.. on and off and after awhile, all will be back to square one.. as long as no grudges kept, it is not harmful..

~LiLHypPo's mUMmy~ said...

*sobs* I feel for you. I think this are 2 phrases that parents dread to hear :(

But I am sure Vic didn't mean that