Very recently I have been informed by a doctor that sedative antihistamines are outdated (yes, I know that already) and less than a handful of research has been done on them, therefore it is not the best (read safe) antihistamines to be given to children.
Sedative antihistamines
Antihistamines that fall into this group is namely the "popular" ones - Actifed, Promethazine, Polaramine and Piriton. Promethazine, apparently, is amongst the tops in putting a child to sleep (but surprisingly, that doesn't work all the time with my little boy).
Non sedative antihistamines
The non sedative antihistamines came out later and therefore, more research was done (fair comment) and so these should be given to children now, and not those in the first group. Amongst these are Zyrtec, Claritin, Cetirizine and Allegra. Out of these, Zyrtec rank the "lowest" as it can also be sedative and cause drowsiness.
For the past two years, my kids have been downing on Promethazine, dozens of bottles have been emptied into their guts cumulatively up till now, coupled with some Actifed and Polaramine and also Zyrtec, every time they catch the flu bug. These are all prescribed by their paed.
Now that I hear this new news from another doctor also in this high end private hospital, I am confused and feeling a little cheated. What if it is true, that their paed has not prescribed the best antihistamines for them? Mine you, William started taking antihistamines even below one year old.
Questions
So what kind of antihistamines do you give your child when he or she falls sick? Do you have a preference or any over the counter, any prescribed medication? Are these all just branding, where some doctors prefer one than the other, or is there an element of truth? Is sedative antihistamines really "not so good" for kids, maybe posing long term danger to their health if taken for the long run? And how is it that the reputable doctor prescribe these medications to the kids?
Oh, and we respect them so!
We have seen, over the past 5 years, an old doctor who would not hesitate to prescribe antibiotics and Brufen for infants, another doctor who is also a lecturer and sits on the Board of a well known private hospital who refuses to give a single drop of medication even when the child is near wheezing and coughing his lungs out and then when it comes to allergies, those who think you can still eat foods that you're allergic to, another who says abstain totally - don't even go near emulsifiers they are dairy in disguise, another who says eat in moderation and let the immune build up...
Sure, each to his own opinion, but you know, I need some light here. I need some clear direction. I used to balance accounts. I want to know what's right, what's wrong, what's black, what's white. I can't allow my kids to be used as guinea pigs, or be given medications that quietly harm rather than heal.
Allergist doctor
And from her allergist doctor in Tangkak, he's aware of her condition and says this is a form of allergy, because "allergies can manifest in different ways." Scary. But wasn't she just ZERORISED last month??? So what is going on? I'm not a very smart person, someone better enlighten me.
I am frustrated. If you can hear me, I am.
Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (糖醋鱼)
1 week ago
7 comments:
Wow! I'm... lost. I don't quite believe in "over-feeding" kids with medicines. Everytime (very rarely lah) Chloe has a cold, it is usually mild and clears off within a few days, WITHOUT any medications. I just give her lots of fruits with high Vit C content and massage her fingers (reflexology). It works, all the time.
I never like to give my kids antihistamines. That's why I often self-treat my kids. At the very onset of a runny nose, I feed my girls with Esberitox and Echninacea. It works most of the time in controlling the cold into a full blown cold. If they have very bad runny nose & phlegm, I let them inhale Ventolin, through the Aero-Chamber. I don't like to use meds on my kids, esp on Baby.
Ok, Irene, I hate medicine! I will let the boy scratch until he bleeds when his eczema flares up, but my man is another story! He feeds my boy with Zrytec whenever the boy complains about itchiness! See, we still can't compromise each other until today! even the external use like Diprosone, I will not apply it on my boy's skin until I deem the problem serious! Yes, I let the boy eat whatever my man thinks that "might" cause the flare up, but see, nothing worse than that happens! :) so forget about the allergy and enjoy the food until it's really proven that it cause serious illness! only my personal opinion!
Esberitox is for kids 2yo & above. You can get Esb. from any pharmacy. The dosage is written in the box / the instruction sheet. I started to feed BBC Esberitox when she was 1-2 mths shy of her 2nd b'day coz I was desperate & I didn't want her to eat meds. At the VERY ONSET of a runny nose, I will start popping Esb, likewise do the same to my girls. So far so good with us. But if u already have a very terrible cold with fever, then I think you need something more than Esb.
As I was growing up, my mum tried to stay away from antibiotics as much as possible, so that kinda got ingrained in me. (the times where I actually got antibiotics, most of the time it ended up in the toilet bowl anyway. ha ha)
So, with Elyssa, I'm also all for self-healing and natural stuff (fruits, vege etc) for minor coughs and runny nose.
Hello mommies, thanks for sharing. I never liked giving med to my kids... the fact that William started without any protest, and everytime he looks forwards to his med as if it's some kinda sweet... it's a relief but kinda sad. Initially when we didn't give (under the no-med paed) he ended up with bronchio and bronchi in the hospital, and then the next few times he came down with flu and cough, we had to stop it from getting worse so he had to take med, even with that, sometimes he has to go with the nebuliser.
I've been disobedient a few times, cheating them of their med hoping they will heal by themselves but somehow that doesn't seem to happen.
Interesting topic to bring up, Irene.
As I am in the healthcare sector, I too am very torn by what is being practiced by doctors and what we believe in as mothers.
I agree with u...sometimes we don't want to douse our kids with too much meds...then we try to restrain them from it. But with that, their condition gets worse somehow...and end up have to take the strong stuff at the end of the day. So at the end of the day, I surrender to meds.
About the antihistamine part, I too dun like giving sedative ones. Totally restrain from them UNLESS the child really needs to sleep at nite. I find these sedative meds dry up the mucous and makes it very 'pekat' compared to the other non-sedative ones. So I just stick to Zyrtec most of the time with normal saline drops for colds. Promethazine doesn't work at all fr my experience but dunno why docs still LOVE to give it.
For coughs, I too find Rhinathiol (mucolytic) works well. it is OTC...so should be safer than the sedative ones like Benadryl or Promethazine. Bronchodilators should be fine (Ventolin or Bricanyl) but normally I give short time only... not more than 4 days. I still find nebuliser the most effective for coughs with phlegm but mah fun lor.
I know... I too very headache with all the diff docs and what they practice. So contradicting.
Until now, I am still searching for the answer.
Post a Comment