JellyPages.com

Thursday, March 17, 2011

My dilemma

Last night I had dinner with my ex client.

Before I left my last job in 2008, he has offered me to jump ship for a procurement role in his company. But timing was not right as I was 6 months pregnant with William then.

A few months after William was born, he asked again if I was keen, but I had to turn him down with regrets (and fear that he might have taken offence).

Three years down the road, he is now holding a bigger portfolio and overseeing a staff count of a hundred times more than when I was servicing his account.

Keeping in touch with him and my ex colleagues and bosses has been random and few, and we try to make it a point to meet up over a meal, so to stay in touch with the ongoings of the industry. Aaahh, but how I have rusted because it is totally impossible to, with all my priorities now on household and upbringing of the kids and the property market.

Last night over our meal at The Curve, he wasted no time but asked if I knew of anyone who could help him with this role which he then proceeded to explain. I shook my head, and quietly thought he must be crazy, because I am not working lar and would be the last person to recommend anyone, being out of the market for so long, so is he joking or what?

Then the question became, would I be interested to take on this challenge? It's no longer a procurement position, but one that involves competitor analysis. Part time. Work time flexible. Job scope as he describe it sounds pretty easy but knowing him, there must be more and for this reason, I am paranoid.

Do I take on this challenge, and if I do but fail, will our friendship end? Will my ex client think less of me, or if word has gotten to my ex bosses, would my ex bosses think less of me? What if I make a complete fool of myself? What if my quality time with my kids have to be sacrificed? Is all these worth it?

And the biggest question? Where do I put William when I work? If I work from home, he will want my time. If I go to office, I can't leave him alone in the house with the maid. Hubs and I have initially toyed with the idea of starting William with part-time kindy to adjust him to being away from me, so could this be our big break?

So is this my chance of a lifetime, maybe my last chance... should I or shouldn't I? I asked William and he immediately said, no. Why? Because "I want you in my house, play with me" but Vic told me it's up to me.

I'm praying and looking for clues and hints and signs of His direction. What do you think, fellow mommies and friends? How I wish I can just flip the coin for an answer. I have over the weekend to give him an answer. The job starts a.s.a.p... aaaah, typical of this client.

10 comments:

A Mom's Diary said...

Don't be too worried about others' perception of you. Getting to work part-time is such a great opportunity to have the best of both worlds, but then again, you know what's best for you and your family. So I'm sure whatever decision you make, it's for the best. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Seriously speaking dear,you have to look into yourself and feel it, i am very sure you know the craving of your heart, if it is to go ahead,then everything shall take care of itself... People's advice is secondary.........

There must be some inner voice and the good sign of it is, whatever decision you made,if it brings you peace and happiness, then should be it.....
god bless ya

LittleLamb said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! DO IT
I will send u email on something interesting.

Since it is partime n flexi....no harm. just make sure dont put too high hope on your self or a high goal to achieve. small milestones, one step at a time will do you just fine.

Lee said...

Hi Irene, go for it! Get the experience too.
Obviously he knows you can do it. And I'm sure the renumeration will be satisfactory.
Get grandma look after the boy.

Since this the 3rd time, ask him for a good pay....
Have fun.....

When I went for my dream job, I never knew I would stand a chance when I learned what they wanted, an Engineering degree minimum.
That I don't have.
I was up against 5 Caucasians, several Asians all older then me with impressive credentials...
And me with a pasar malam necktie too.

Just like you having uncertain thoughts, I thought, 'what the heck'? If don't try will not know.
And went thru 3 interviews....The rest history, ha ha.
Go for it, Irene. Opportunities like this don't knock twice.
Lee.

Adrine said...

I think it sounds like a a fantastic opportunity!! The flexible part nature is a definite plus.

And looking at how Wiliam did so well in his Gymboree trial class last week, I think he is sooo ready for kindy.

Leona said...

The kids are growing up. William will be soon at an independant stage. Don't worry about them as you will still be working flexi time.

It is really up to what your heart desires and what u want out of life at the moment. The great thing is it is part time.

But make sure you set ur conditions too. Afterwards, the job may be more demanding than what ur ex-client painted it to be.Then, can;t worm out of it.

Mamapumpkin said...

GOOOOOOOO FOR ITTTTTTT!!!!!! If all fails, you can always change everything......

Unknown said...

As long as ur hubby permitted, then you should move on... Don't worry so much about William, slowly you'll have everything sort it out! Take things one at a time..I'm sure every problems has its way of solution! Good Luck!

Unknown said...

Thank you all, for your kind words and advice, it has been a yoyo weekend, go - don't go - go - don't go... so anyway I will keep you all informed of any changes to come. Right now, I'm still keeping busy with all the routine and stuff.

God bless.

Mamapumpkin said...

I'm having the same dilemma now. Aaargghh!!!!