JellyPages.com

Saturday, December 13, 2008

William's first solids

We started William on cereals, rice based, when he was 6 months and 1 day old, although honestly, I was tempted to give him cereals when he was 5.5 months old, but after having read the internet about the potential dangers and risks of feeding baby his first cereals before 6 months, I'm not gonna be impatient here. Afterall, although William showed some signs of interest in the food that we take, he's rather a small "eater" or drinker, compared to his sister when she was his age, and considering that he's a boy.

Cereals
So 6 months and 1 day old. I happily took out Nestle brown rice cereal and eagerly opened it. The maid, she's as excited as me, and has been asking me when William can start his cereals for a few weeks already.



The boy didn't like it, to put it simply. Brown rice was not his thing. I thought, maybe the first time it's like this lar. We tried again the next day, this time I minus out the milk, since the cereal itself tasted sweet a bit "chocolatey" to me.

Eeeuuu!! What's this??
Jie Jie feeding baby brother

What a mess!

He still didn't like it. But no problem. Mummy got the Heinz white rice cereals as backup... tadaaaaa!! Haha, this is the same as what Victoria fed as an infant. William loved this. Not a heavy taker, again, but at least he's eating.

We increased his intake over the past few weeks, then plateau off to 2-3 spoonfuls per meal, twice a day. After he finished the box, we tried the brown rice cereals again. This time, he was more receptive. After finishing 1 tin, I bought a second tin. I'm going to be really slow, and careful in his first solids, as Victoria has allergies and there are distant relatives with allergies as well, the chances of William developing allergies are there.

Papaya
As for fruits, I started him on papaya first. One year back, I heard about my father's friend who was so paranoid about the pesticide used on the fruits and vegetables, that he actually left out the outer one inch of the fruit, and scooped the really inner part for his baby. My first thought was, "He's crazy!" but here I am, being crazy too.

What was William's reaction to the fruit? Not very good either. I noticed that for every new thing that he tries, he gives his really "mmmm... i dunno like" face, with the mouth shut, and the eyes a bit squinting. I can see in the future he will not much of a food lover or a heavy eater, but even now, with his relatively low intake of milk and solids, he has a good weight. Last weighed at 9.45kg a week back at 7 months old.

Vege Porridge
After the Ipoh holiday, I started him on porridge. We bought organic bayam (spinach) and carrots from the organic shop while at The Gardens on Monday. On Tuesday, William had his first taste of vege porridge. This is the look he gave us, after tasting it.

He refused, and I repeat, REFUSED to open his mouth for the subsequent spoons of porridge! Somehow, we manage to get him to eat about a tablespoon. That evening, he was more willing, I guess maybe hungry or he's resigned to the fact that he can't choose his food.

Apple
Yesterday I gave him apple. Shredded a piece and gave him abit of pulp with the juice. Again, he's not really liking it. Haiyaaa... so messy, with the juice coming out from his mouth. To add to all these, his loving sister wants to feed him everytime too. I've limited her to only one or a couple of spoons now, unlike the first few times, because she still haven't mastered the art of feeding baby, and can accidentally shove the spoon too into his mouth. With William moving his head here and there, and the hands trying to catch the spoon, it makes feeding time even messier.

So I let the maid do it lar. Honestly, she does a better job than me I think, feeding him, that is.

Milk and water
His intake of milk is sooooo little, I get frustrated and worried that he's not taking enough liquid. Yesterday alone during the day time, he took less than 10oz cumulative, and refuses water. I dunno why. Maybe he's just full from his porridge, but really, we're not giving him a lot even. Just about 2 tablespoons per meal. It's almost like war every time I feed him milk. He's still breastfeeding, especially at night and when he sleeps. That's easier, than rushing for a bottle. Unless he's really hungry, of course.

No comments: