Yesterday Vic took out her Little Red Riding Hood book (the Level 1 version) and read a few pages out to me. Of course, there were a few words that challenged her, for example, "flower", "stopped" and "want" and I helped her with the blending of the sounds by breaking the word up.
Towards the end, she asked me if she can just read a few pages, instead of the whole book, and I agreed. I told her it's the effort that counts. Then she whispered to me, "You see mommy, if I don't know how to read and you help me, then it's easier."
I knew what she meant. She used to get very emotional and will not cooperate aka freeze mode, whenever she can't read and I tell her to spell and sound the blends herself. I didn't want to spoon feed her. For example, the word "going" should be give her some clues, by breaking the word into two parts, "go" and "ing".
This girl has her moods. I hope yesterday's progress wasn't just from purging the words from memory, which she does very well. I will test her a few more times. And hopefully in a few months time, if she really can read, she can confidently ask her Daddy for her reward... her sneakers with lights! (they had an agreement earlier)
Sweet and Sour Mandarin Fish (糖醋鱼)
1 week ago
1 comment:
Don't worry, Victoria will soon learn to read. My boy also started reading at 5 and he has since picked up a reading habit.
Post a Comment