JellyPages.com

Monday, September 20, 2010

Teaching Vic maths and spelling

Vic is still on her medication from her ENT specialise, prescribed last Wednesday. Her course is for 7 days, and the next appointment is this Wednesday. As I wrote in my previous post, her running nose stopped after taking the medication, but over the weekend it came back, and she also developed a fever on Saturday.

However, last weekend was a pretty busy weekend as we had a wedding dinner on Saturday night at Hee Lai Ton Seri Kembangan, and on Sunday - Mama's birthday luncheon at Holiday Villa Subang Jaya and a dinner at Souled Out Sri Hartamas.

The kids were even supposed to go swimming with Mama Yeh Yeh on Sunday evening but we have to pass that as they are unwell.

Naturally Vic is absent from school today, to rest at home. During breakfast she asked me if she could watch tv, and I told her she has to do her maths first then she gets to watch.

Then I gave her a deal, 30 correct maths questions for a reward of 30minutes TV.

*Hand shake*

Unfortunately that didn't happen. Quite expected but look, I didn't set her up. She has to learn simple arithmetics by now. 23 + 4, tick. 23 + 5, tick. 23 + 11, tick. Few wrongs on the others so I gave her a chance to correct herself after some explanation. On the final 3rd round, I marked her paper and here are some examples of wrongs and rights...

28 + 3, wrong. (She answered 21)
19 + 4, wrong. (She answered 13)
19 + 6, wrong. (She answered 35)

34 + 12, tick.
28 + 5, tick. Guided.
28 + 6, tick. Guided.

Final mark = 12/30 out of which 5 were guided.

Sigh. I must be a damn lousy teacher.

Then spelling. She wanted spelling for a change. So we went through her vegetable book, that's the theme for these few weeks. (We have themes of words for her to learn at a rate of 3 new words each day)

And these are her correct revisioned words (ie words spelt last week).

onion
peas
chilli
celery
radish
carrot

My theory of our problem here is this girl is still struggling with matching her phonic sounds to create a word. She may know her phonic sounds for all her alphabets but not able to listen to the phonics then spell the word.

So what's the best way to guide a child to teach? Lots of encouragement to read and spell, and yet... How can you let a child read only when she/he is ready? That's crap. They will never be ready. How can you make everything enjoyable to encourage passion? That's also crap. In reality, we don't face that. There are things we have to do, need to do, must do.

So what's the secret out there?

7 comments:

LittleLamb said...

Need to identify her learning style n be patience...

Reanaclaire said...

Last time i started with Peter and Jane ladybird series..i wonder they are still in use now? for my kids, they are very effective..

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Inspired Momx1 said...

Agreed with littlelamb. To identify her learning style and with loads of patience..

Encourage and praise her generously everytime you see any slight improvement in her. Be generous with hugs and kisses too when you feel she needs them to boost her confidence. I am not sure about others but the above works pretty well with my son.

I know it's easier said than done. I still lose my head at times if not all the time.:P We are humans and we have our emotions too.. We can only try our best..:)

Unknown said...

I am idiot as far as math is concerned, my friend used to laugh at me, coming from chinese school and i only managed a C7 in my SPM,, bad bad,,

Vic is not fully recovered yet,,, don't take her out that often ya,,

take care now and god bless

Leona said...

For Ryan, I really can't do much than what he is willing to do.once he senses something is out of his league, he just says 'don't want" and shuts off. I can't force him after that. That is why Maths.. he is still in addition only.
Try making it fun for d activities. For example..as in spelling...Ryan and I play Spelling games as if in like a game show ...with sounds effects and make believe points. Like if correct...special sound. If wrong..then buzzer sound. So far he kinds of enjoys it. Btu only limited to 3 and 4 letter words.

A Mom's Diary said...

Wow, you are really so rajin. Practising so many things with Vic. The only spelling/ejaan/ting xie that I practise with YY are those which are given by the kindy.

And those sums are quite advanced, are they not? I think in kindy @ 5yo, they were only doing addition/substraction with a single digit, no?